Three Things to Be Aware Of…
Kickoff Weekend is Here – This weekend, September 12/13, is our official “kickoff weekend” for the fall. We’ll have a coffee truck here Sunday morning and the coffee is on us. They will also have things for the kids and sandwiches for after the service. In addition, we plan to have Northgate logo masks to give out to a limited number of people in each service. You may want to come early that weekend!
The Children’s Wing is Open – The Children’s Wing is open again – though only for the 11am service only, at this time. The infant through K-4 rooms are all staffed and ready to welcome your children in a safe and fun environment. For more information you can contact Children’s Ministry Director Leah at email@example.com.
30 Days of Fasting and Prayer – There’s still time to participate in our 30 days of fasting and prayer. For the month of September Pastor Marsha and Pastor Vern will provide short prayer guides via email each day and will host a time to talk about the experience of fasting and to pray together on Wednesdays (Marsha – 12pm; Vern – 7pm). We’ll send out Zoom links for those gatherings to those who sign up. So far about 70 people are participating! We expect God to do something wonderful!
While we do not approach fasting as a “requirement” we affirm that fasting can be a powerful way for us to connect more closely with the Lord. Jesus does say that God rewards fasting (Matthew 6:16-18).
Each participant in this time of prayer and fasting is encouraged to choose the type of fast that will work for them, such as fasting from one meal one or more times per week, fasting from 6am to 3pm (or another range of hours) one or more times per week, fasting from certain foods, etc. While sometimes people fast from other things (television, Facebook, etc.) we’ll encourage fasting from food for this experience.
If you are new to fasting, you may want to read the book Revival Starts Here by Dave Clayton. It’s a short, easy to read orientation to fasting. And if you have any questions about this you can email Pastor Marsha or Pastor Vern (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com).
We’ve all been through a lot this year, and we’re still going through it. In addition, there are important events coming up in the life of our nation. This is a perfect time to focus ourselves more intently on seeking God’s heart and direction, and I believe fasting and praying together through September will help us do that. If you want to be a part of this, please let us know!
Ten Things To Do…
- Pick Up a Box and Fill it With Food – One of the wonderful things our church has been able to do since COVID hit is to assist with getting food to hungry people in our community. The need continues to be there, and we want to continue to help. So on the weekends of September 19/20 and 26/27 we’ll have boxes available at the church that people can pick up and return full of groceries the weekend of October 2/3. Then those boxes will be distributed at the food distribution day following that. Thank you for being a blessing to our community!
- Meet with Other Moms and Grandmothers to Pray – The next “Moms In Prayer International” group will begin meeting on October 13 at 7pm. Meetings will be on-line this year through a Google Meet invite and will occur on the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month while school is in session. We meet to pray for our school and/or college aged children, their educational successes and needs while they are enrolled in school and facing the typical challenges that students meet on a daily basis. Moms in Prayer guides, written by founder Fern Nichols, can be ordered and purchased if desired, however prayer outlines are provided each week. The hour is spent praising God using scripture, silent confession, thanksgiving for answered prayer and praying for specific needs. You can check out the website for more information (www.MomsinPrayer.org) or contact prayer leader Paula Neumann (585) 201-0079. If you want to join in, Paula will need an email address in order to send you an invite.
- Join “Life’s Healing Choices” – There’s a new women’s group being planned for this Fall that will use the workbook by that name. This program offers “God’s pathway to wholeness, growth, spiritual maturity, happiness, and healing” for women. If you are interested or want more information call or text Sue Bobo at 585-479-2020. Meetings will be on Tuesdays at 6:30pm at Sue’s home and they begin September 29.
- Meet With Other Moms of Young Children – Mothers of Preschoolers or “MOPS” are women who gather together twice a month to share and support each other in the remarkable journey that is motherhood. Meetings consist of relevant speakers, fun crafts, supportive conversations and fellowship. Moms can choose a 9 am morning group or a 6:30pm evening group. MOPS is open to all moms with children from birth until their youngest child finishes kindergarten. Groups will be meeting online through the end of the year, with hopes to meet in person in 2021. Membership is currently $32, scholarships are available. Register at our Popsicles at the Pavilion event on September 19, 11:00am at 8160 Bank Street Road, Batavia, or visit https://northgatefmc.churchcenter.com/groups/
- Volunteer in Our Children’s Ministry – Thank you so much to all of you who have shown up and volunteered to help with cleaning and other tasks, which has allowed us to open our building to services again. Now we need to ask for volunteers in another area: Children’s Ministry. If you’d be willing to serve in this area and help us to open these rooms, we would very much appreciate it. Please contact Leah, our Children’s Ministry Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org to offer your help. And thank you!
- Deal With a Hurt, Habit or Hang-up – Celebrate Recovery meets every Thursday evening at 6:30 (including any and all holidays that fall on a Thursday, unless there is a serious snow storm) at our North Campus. Our CR leaders guide and assist those of us who are gaining joy and freedom in Christ as we apply the 12-Steps of Celebrate Recovery to the hurts, habits and hang-ups we all struggle with. All are welcome! We believe anyone and everyone would benefit by attending this group, where we allow God to transform our lives. We are able to share openly and honestly about our struggles with people we come to trust, who will maintain confidentiality, and who will not judge us. For more info, go to: https://northgatecr.weebly.com/
- Come to a Night of Worship – If you have been missing being able to sing with our praise team mark your calendar for a night of worship under the stars on September 18. This will be an outdoor event and the current guidelines limit attendance to 50 people in any one gathering outdoors, so we will be asking you to register so we can keep track of numbers. Please register by calling the office (343-4011) or going to the website: northgatefmc.com.
- Get Support Through Grief Share and Divorce Care – A Grief Share group will begin September 15 from 6 to 7:30 and run for 13 weeks. And Divorce Care will begin on September 19, also from 6-7:30, and run for 13 weeks. If you would like to sign up for one of these, or need more information, please contact Pastor Marsha at email@example.com.
- Join a Study on the Holy Spirit – This ongoing study is held at 7pm on Thursday nights and is led by Pastor Vern and Pastor Marsha. We’re currently reading a book by Jack Deere called Why I Am Still Surprised by the Power of the Spirit. If you’d like to join in you can via Zoom. Contact Pastor Vern or Pastor Marsha (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the link.
- Participate in the New Room Conference – Northgate will be participating in a virtual event called A Night with New Roomon Friday evening, September 25, 2020. It will be a two-hour, live-streamed meeting with God around our collective need, as the Body of Christ, for a great spiritual awakening. We will host a viewing of the event in our North Campus sanctuary, and it can also be watched in your home. Thanks to the generosity of many who support the host organization, Seedbed, it will be a FREE EVENT, but participants must register. Please join us for an inspiring, sobering, and deeply encouraging time together – either in-person or online. Contact Pastor Marsha (email@example.com) to learn more about New Room.
You Can Count on This – John 17:24 – “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.” (Read John 17:1-26)
Christ-follower – do you every wonder if you will be in heaven, if God could really allow you into His kingdom? I mean, who are we to think that’s possible, as fallible and messed up as we can be? If that’s ever you, please listen to what Jesus says here, in his prayer before his arrest and crucifixion. Hear what it is He wants. He wants us to be with Him! Jesus is in heaven, at the right hand of God the Father, and He wants us there with Him! He wants us to see how the Father has glorified Him so that we can rejoice in that and celebrate His victories over death and sin and all that is hateful and sinful and evil. If you have surrendered your life to Jesus and are trusting Him for the forgiveness of your sins, don’t fret about your future. Jesus wants you with Him in heaven, and that’s where you’ll be one day.
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.