- Thank you “Grandma” Barb! – Barb Ettinger is retiring as our Nursery Director after 30+ years of service. We’re going to miss you Barb! Many, many people have been blessed by her service and you’ll have a chance to write a note thanking her for that this weekend, which will be entered into a book and given to Barb at a punch/cookie reception in her honor on November 10 after the second service. Thank you for showing Barb your gratitude and appreciation for her years of good service!
- Missions Luncheon – You’re invited to the Missions Luncheon on Sunday, November 3rd after the second service. We’ll provide a light lunch and an opportunity to hear from members of Northgate who have done missions work overseas this year. That will include the Puerto Rico team, the Rwanda Teachers’ Team, Mitch and Lynn Sue Pierce (Europe) and Jan and Bret Shetler (China).
- Connections Board – Looking for a group to attend, or a place to serve at Northgate? Check out our new Connections Board in the lobby (to the left of the main sanctuary doors). You’ll find over 20 group opportunities open to all and half a dozen service opportunities, with the information you need to get started.
- Baptisms and Dedications and Memberships Recap – It was a real joy last weekend to celebrate baptisms and dedications and to bring in new members to Northgate. Congratulations to all of you! We’re glad to have you here and pray God’s special blessings on you all.
- New To Northgate Group – Maybe you’re brand new to Northgate, or maybe you’ve been coming a while but you still have some questions. We’re launching a new group to help people get the answers! This group meets on Sundays at 9:30am in Meeting Room #1 and will cover topics like: Understanding Church Language; Communion and Baptism in the Free Methodist Church; Where Northgate Stands on Important Social Issues; An Introduction to the Bible”; and other questions that come up in the group. If you’re interested you can just show up or let Pastor Marsha know – email@example.com.
- Leadership Academy – Interested in growing as a leader? Consider the Northgate Leadership Academy. One academy is underway, but there was so much interest we decided to offer a second academy beginning in the Spring. We’ll read a book on leadership and discuss and apply the principles in our own lives. Interested candidates please email firstname.lastname@example.org receive an application. There is no cost to join the class and books will be provided for the students.
- Salvation Army Thanksgiving/Christmas Help – If you’d like to help the Salvation Army serve others this Thanksgiving and Christmas, here’s a way to do it. Make a donation of a food item or a child’s toy. For November they are seeking: pasta sauce, jelly, canned tuna, chicken or fruit, dry pasta or dry mac&cheese. For December they are seeking: stocking stuffers, crayons, coloring books, children’s card games and small stuffed animals. Leave items at our Salvation Army box in the entryway or deliver directly to the Salvation Army offices.
- Great Day of Giving Organizations for 2019 – This year’s Great Day of Giving offering will be going to the Set Free Movement, Crossroads House and Habitat for Humanity. We’ll receive this offering on November 23 and 24 during our regular services. This is one of the rare offerings we receive in addition to our regular offering, and it’s always a huge honor to be able to bless others with it. Thank you for participating!
- Thinking about Christmas – Soon it’ll be time to show how much we love Jesus through generous giving to others, and there will be several ways to do that. We will have an Angel Tree (for the Salvation Army), sign ups for Bell Ringing, and an opportunity to give to a ministry of our Bulgarian missionaries called “Virtual Christmas Gift Box.” More information on each of these will be coming out soon but you can begin to plan for these opportunities now!
- Find Out What’s Going On – Want to keep up to date on what’s going on at Northgate? There are several ways you can do that! Download our app, visit us at northgatefmc.com and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! And if you don’t receive Pastor Vern’s Top Ten by email and want to, let us know! Email email@example.com and we will sign you up!
You Can Count on This – Luke 20:34-35 – Jesus replied, “The people of this age marry and are given in marriage. But those who are considered worthy of taking part in the age to come and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage. (Read Luke 20:27-47)
This teaching from Jesus causes real consternation among some people I know. They find it hard to imagine not being married to their spouse when they get to heaven! That certainly seems to be what Jesus is saying, but I don’t think we need to be saddened by that. I think relationships in heaven will just be a little different than they are here. Marriage won’t be necessary because we won’t be creating children in heaven. But that doesn’t mean I won’t have a very special relationship with Deb – I fully expect that she will have a particular place in my heart there, just as she does here. We won’t lose the emotional intimacy we share here; in fact, we may experience it even more without the hindrance of sin in our lives!
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.