1. This Changes Everything – This weekend people will be declaring that their relationship changes everything! Parents will be dedicating and baptizing children, affirming their intention to raise them to know Jesus. Young people and adults will be getting baptized, affirming their relationship with Jesus and that in him their sins have been washed away. In addition, people will become members of Northgate, committing themselves to the mission and ministry of God in this place. Please join us in celebrating these decisions, and if you have a “This Changes Everything” T-shirt, this is the weekend to wear it!
2. Missions Lunch – You’re invited to the Missions Luncheon on Sunday, November 3rd after the second service. We’ll provide a light lunch and an opportunity to hear from members of Northgate who have done missions work overseas this year. That will include the Puerto Rico team, the Rwanda Teachers’ Team, Mitch and Lynn Sue Pierce (Europe) and Jan and Bret Shetler (China).
3. New To Northgate Group – Maybe you’re brand new to Northgate, or maybe you’ve been coming a while but you still have some questions. We’re launching a new group to help people get the answers! This group will meet on Sundays at 9:30am in Meeting Room #1 beginning on October 20th and will cover topics like: Understanding Church Language; Communion and Baptism in the Free Methodist Church; Where Northgate Stands on Important Social Issues; An Introduction to the Bible”; and other questions that come up in the group. If you’re interested you can just show up or let Pastor Marsha know – firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Great Day of Giving Organizations for 2019 – The places we will be blessing with this year’s Great Day of Giving offering have been chosen. They are the Set Free Movement, Crossroads House and Habitat for Humanity. We will be receiving this offering on November 23 and 24 during our regular services. This is one of the rare offerings we receive in addition to our regular offering, and it’s always a huge honor to be able to bless others who are doing good work with people in our community and elsewhere. Thank you for participating!
5. Connections Board – Looking for a group to attend, or a place to serve at Northgate? Check out our new Connections Board in the lobby (to the left of the main sanctuary doors). You’ll find over 20 group opportunities open to all and half a dozen service opportunities, with the information you need to get started.
6. Pastor Marsha is in Light and Life – Light and Life Magazine is our denominational magazine and Pastor Marsha is quoted in the October issue. She recently attended an event called “Starting Strong” which helps new (or “new-ish”) pastors gain the resources for effective ministry. We’re glad to have Pastor Marsha serving the Lord here at Northgate. If you’d like to read about her “Starting Strong” experience, pick up a copy of Light and Life from the tables in the Adult wing hall and in the lobby area.
7. BASE & Young Adult Events – Middle School BASE meets on Wednesdays at 6pm and High School BASE meets on Sundays at 6:30pm. A Young Adult group (post high-school) meets on Wednesdays at 8:30pm. All of these are at South. For more information on any of these contact Pastor Daniel at email@example.com.
- Also check out the Adult groups meeting on Sunday at 8:30, 9:30 and 11am.
8. Salvation Army Thanksgiving/Christmas Help – If you’d like to help the Salvation Army serve others this Thanksgiving and Christmas, here’s a way to do it. Make a donation of a food item or a child’s toy. For November they are seeking: pasta sauce, jelly, canned tuna, chicken or fruit, dry pasta or dry mac&cheese. For December they are seeking: stocking stuffers, crayons, coloring books, children’s card games and small stuffed animals. You can leave items at our Salvation Army box in the entryway or deliver directly to the Salvation Army offices.
9. Thinking about Christmas – And while I’m on Christmas soon it’ll be time to show our love through generous giving, and there will be several ways to do that. We will have an Angel Tree (for the Salvation Army), sign ups for Bell Ringing, and an opportunity to give to a ministry of our Bulgarian missionaries called “Virtual Christmas Gift Box.” More information on each of these will be coming out soon.
10. Find Out What’s Going On – Want to keep up to date on what’s going on at Northgate? There are several ways you can do that! Download our app, visit us at northgatefmc.com and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! And if you don’t receive Pastor Vern’s Top Ten by email and want to, let us know! Email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will sign you up!
You Can Count on This – Luke 20:25 – He said to them, “Then give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.” – (Read Luke 20:1-26)
What belongs to God? Everything! Whatever we have (money, things, our lives!) it has all been given to us by God and belongs to God. We are to honor God with how we use what God has given us. And that can include paying taxes, or being responsible citizens or caring for our community. Those actions flow from the fact that God has given us this time and place in which to live and we are to be good stewards of it, stewards who are serving God in how we serve Caesar.
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.