Five Things to Be Aware Of…
We’re Taking Communion This Weekend – This weekend (October 3 & 4) we will be observing communion together in our worship services at North (Arbor House observes communion every week). We’ll take communion in a safe manner through the use of individual communion packets. Please plan to join us for this special time of worship.
Let Us Know How We Can Minister to You – As your pastors and ministry leaders we want you to know that we always love to hear from you and we especially love to know how we can pray for you and with you! Please do not hesitate to contact us. You can reach any pastor or ministry leader at first email@example.com or send prayer concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Children’s Wing is Open – The Children’s Wing is open again – for both the 9:30 & 11am services. The infant through K-4 rooms are all staffed and ready to welcome your children in a safe and fun environment. For more information you can contact Children’s Ministry Director Leah at email@example.com.
30 Days of Fasting and Prayer – Have you offered people who may want to continue fasting the connection with the Seedbed fasting challenge?
I’m Taking a Vacation – In case you might try to reach me next week please know that I will be on vacation with Deb. If you need anything please be sure to contact one of the other pastors or our office. I’m so fortunate to be a part of such a great team!
Ten Things To Do…
- Receive Our Thanks for Filling Boxes! – The past two weeks you have been picking up empty boxes after service and bringing them back full of food! Thank you for helping us stock the Salvation Army food pantry – they really appreciate it and so do the people who will be fed from the pantry. This is the church being the church and it’s a great thing to be part of. Blessings to you all!
- Read a Challenging Article on Church Attendance – This article may challenge you but it may also help you to understand some of the things that are challenging pastors and church leaders today. If you read it and want to discuss it, please contact me! And please, if you read it, read it all the way through!
- Meet with Other Moms and Grandmothers to Pray – The next “Moms In Prayer International” group will begin meeting on October 13 at 7pm. Meetings will be on-line this year through a Google Meet invite and will occur on the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month while school is in session. We meet to pray for our school and/or college aged children, their educational successes and needs while they are enrolled in school and facing the typical challenges that students meet on a daily basis. Moms in Prayer guides, written by founder Fern Nichols, can be ordered and purchased if desired, however prayer outlines are provided each week. The hour is spent praising God using scripture, silent confession, thanksgiving for answered prayer and praying for specific needs. You can check out the website for more information (www.MomsinPrayer.org) or contact prayer leader Paula Neumann (585) 201-0079. If you want to join in, Paula will need an email address in order to send you an invite.
- Watch a Message on Racial Reconciliation and Holy Unity by our Bishops – Our Free Methodist Bishops recently spoke on the issues we’re facing in our nation and suggest some actionable steps we can take towards unity. You can find the message on Vimeo here: https://vimeo.com/455884086.
- Volunteer in Our Children’s Ministry – Thank you so much to all of you who have shown up and volunteered to help with cleaning and other tasks, which has allowed us to open our building to services again. Now we need to ask for volunteers in another area: Children’s Ministry. If you’d be willing to serve in this area and help us to open these rooms, we would very much appreciate it. Please contact Leah, our Children’s Ministry Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org to offer your help. And thank you!
- Deal With a Hurt, Habit or Hang-up – Celebrate Recovery meets every Thursday evening at 6:30 (including any and all holidays that fall on a Thursday, unless there is a serious snow storm) at our North Campus. Our CR leaders guide and assist those of us who are gaining joy and freedom in Christ as we apply the 12-Steps of Celebrate Recovery to the hurts, habits and hang-ups we all struggle with. All are welcome! We believe anyone and everyone would benefit by attending this group, where we allow God to transform our lives. We are able to share openly and honestly about our struggles with people we come to trust, who will maintain confidentiality, and who will not judge us. For more info, go to: https://northgatecr.weebly.com/
- Watch an Informative Series on Right Now Media – A pastor I have learned a lot from, Kyle Idleman, has a series on Right Now Media called “Redeem the Screen.” It’s a three-part series on the way we use social media, for good or bad. Each part is only about 15” long so you can watch the whole thing in under 45”. I haven’t seen it yet, but a friend recommends it so I am planning to see it and I’m passing it on to you!
- Learn About the “Perspectives” Course – If you are interested in learning more about the history of the church and God’s missional purposes for the church, check out the Perspectives Course being offered at The Chapel in Buffalo starting in January. This course presents “the biblical, historical, cultural, and strategic aspects of God’s heart for the nations.” If you want more information contact Tonya Previglian at 716-753-0310 or go online to www.perspectives.org/Buffalo21.
- Begin a New Sermon Series With Us – This weekend we will begin a new sermon series focusing on our Northgate Core Values. These are the beliefs we share that unite us here at Northgate. Through this series we hope that people will understand who we are, what we stand for and what we consider of greatest value. You can join us in person by registering or watch the services on-line if that is your preference right now.
- Share a Celebration – What are you celebrating these days? One way we encourage one another is by sharing our celebrations, and I’d love to share yours! Please email me (email@example.com) or text me (585-993-1506) and let me know what you are celebrating. I’ll compile what I receive and share them. Thanks!
You Can Count on This – John 20:21 – Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” (Read John 20:1-31)
I’ve never really seen this verse in the way I saw it today as I read the passage over. This is the evening of the day of Jesus’ resurrection. He appears to them in a locked room and shows them his pierced hands and side as evidence that He is really Jesus and He is alive. Twice He tells them to be at peace and the next thing He says to them is this: “As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.”
That seems an odd way thing to say to people who are in the midst of coming to an understanding that you have been raised from the dead! There’s no talk about that. There’s no discussion about what Jesus was doing in the tomb for three days. There’s no processing of the events of the last week. There’s just an instruction from Jesus: “You are being sent now!”
There’s a message here for us, I think. The message is that while there are a lot of things we can talk about and process, and while there may be many things that we are struggling to understand, we can’t let those things keep us from understanding this main thing: we are sent into the world, just as Jesus was sent to us, to share the good news of Christ’s death and resurrection and the salvation He offers and the new life that is possible in Him.
Jesus would spend the next 50 days preparing His followers for their mission, but He laid out right from the beginning what it was they were being prepared for. It wasn’t to sit around and wait for His return. It wasn’t to simply sing songs with each other and celebrate the fact that He is alive. It’s to get out into the world and do something for Him! They were to be sent people. And we are to be the sent people now! Jesus is alive! Let’s get going and tell the world. Let’s get out there!
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.