- Volunteer Appreciation Night – Tuesday, November 21st from 6-8pm we are inviting anyone who volunteers or serves at Northgate in any capacity to come to the Café at North for some Staff-prepared food, fellowship and fun. This is a “come and go as you need to” event, but we hope you’ll stay for at least a little while and get to know some new friends, and catch up with others, while being appreciated by the Staff for all you do. Northgate is a healthy and strong church because of you, our volunteers, and we want to say “Thank you!”
- Pastor Greg and Jackie are Heading South – Yes, it’s true. After 10+ years of great ministry to the people of Northgate and this community, Pastor Greg is retiring from Northgate in order to move to Virginia to be close to his children and grandchildren. We are happy for him to be able to do that, but will definitely miss the presence of this loving, kind, Christ-filled pastor. Pastor Greg and Jackie will be taking off on Saturday, November 25th, and we will honor their ministry the weekend before that, but don’t wait until then… take a moment to thank them for all they’ve done for the Lord at Northgate.
- International Day of Prayer – This weekend is designated as an International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church. Even as we enjoy the freedom to worship God as we believe we should, there are many, many people in the world who cannot do so without the risk of attack and persecution. Please pray about this, and if you want some help doing so you can access many resources at this webpage: http://idop.org/web/
- Operation Christmas Child – OCC boxes are available this weekend and will need to be returned by November 19th. If you’ve participated before, you know how easy it is to see that a child is blessed by a box of gifts and the message of the gospel.
- Great Day of Giving – This year 1/3 of this offering will be given to Hope Haven (an inpatient alcohol/drug treatment program at the St. Jerome building), Men’s Warehouse (a men’s and children’s ministry led by our own Jon Andre and others) and Mercy Flight (did you know several of our Northgaters have been served personally by Mercy Flight?). Another 1/3 will go to a capital project, and the final 1/3 to World Missions. We’ll receive this offering the weekend of 11/18 and 11/19. Please pray about how God would want you to participate.
- Thanksgiving Bags – The Saturday before Thanksgiving a small team of Northgaters deliver bags to migrant families, containing everything needed for a Thanksgiving meal. If you‘d like to help with this act of love, you can donate toward the cost of a complete bag ($30) by indicating on the envelope or check “Thanksgiving Bag.” If you want to help assemble or deliver, please contact our church administrative assistant (Allison@northgatefmc.com).
- How to Help the People of Puerto Rico – From Bishop Roller… A great way to provide direct aid is to purchase Walmart or Walgreens gift cards and send them to Puerto Rico Hurricane Recovery, 770 N. High School Rd, Indianapolis, IN 46214. Or contributions can be made through the Bishops Crisis Response Fund(include “Puerto Rico” in the Comments box).
- BASE/Parent Meeting – BASE is our Wednesday night program for 5th through 12th grade kids and meets at the South Campus at 6:00pm every other week. The next gathering is on Wednesday, November 8th. This year’s BASE is off to a really good start and we’d love to see more people get involved. For more information on BASE or our other opportunities for youth or if you missed the Parents’ Meeting this past week, you can contact our Next Generation Director, Daniel Calkins at Daniel@northgatefmc.com and he’ll be glad to help you out.
- Transportation Needs for Our ESL Students – We are committed to continuing to provide transportation for our English as a Second Language students. In order to hold our Friday class for the last six weeks of the semester, we have need of two drivers to bring 3 students to class on Fridays. Please contact pastor Patti at firstname.lastname@example.org you would like more information or come to the Information Desk.
- Save the Date – You might want to make a note on your calendar (paper or digital) to save Friday night, December 1st for a Christmas Concert at Northgate North with Brothers McClurg and special guest speaker Mark Buchanan. Mark is a well-published Christian author and he will be spending the weekend with us. The concert begins at 7pm, but we’re planning some special things for before the concert too. Stay tuned!
You Can Count on This – Matthew 14:14 – When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick. (Read Matthew 14:1-21)
Reading this passage over today, I am brought to my knees in humble adoration of Jesus. He learns that his cousin, John, has been executed, and goes off to a quiet place, completely understandable considering how he must have been grieving. But the crowds of people in spiritual and physical need seek him out and his time alone turns into time of ministry. Still, he doesn’t get annoyed; he just begins tending to the needs. What a Savior! I’m not always that able to put aside my feelings and needs in order to respond to someone else’s. And I don’t think we should always ignore our own emotional/spiritual needs in order to help others. We are human! And we’re not Jesus. Still, what a Savior – who loves us so much that he does.
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.