- Community Life: Night of Worship– Everyone is invited to a night of worship led by our Worship Team on Wednesday, November 14that 6:30pm. This would be a perfect time to invite a friend to join you, perhaps someone who isn’t sure about attending church on Sunday but would appreciate hearing our wonderful Worship Team lead us in singing and giving thanks to God as we approach the celebration of Thanksgiving next week.
- Community Life: New Northgate Website– Check out our new Northgate website at northgatefmc.com. Thank you, Justin Reynolds, for making this happen!
- Mission Life: Great Day of Giving– Please remember our Great Day of Giving offering:November 17thand 18th. This year portions of that offering will go to the YWCAto support their work with women; the Genesee County Victims Advocacy Center(they have been very helpful to the members of our church who were victims of a crime this summer) and to an Immigration Law Clinic at New Hope FM Church in Rochester.
- Mission Life: Puerto Rico Trip Being Planned– Several members of our church are planning to spend 10 days in Puerto Rico this January, helping to repair homes which were destroyed in Hurricane Maria. Unfortunately two who had planned to go have had to change their plans, but that means these slots are open for two of you! If you are interested in being part of this group, please contact Angelo, our Missions Team Leader, as soon as possible at email@example.com.
- Mission Life: Christmas Giving– Here are some ways to share and give this Christmas.
- Fill a shoebox– While we are not holding an Operation Christmas Childcampaign here at Northgate this year, you can still participate. Our office manager, Allison, can let you know where boxes can be taken and when. And if you need a shoebox, just ask!
- Take part in the Angel Tree Northgate will be helping the Salvation Army provide Christmas gifts to 125-150 children who range from Newborn to 15 years old. Tags with the children’s wishes will be available Nov. 25thand Dec. 2ndon the Angel Tree at both campuses! Our collection dates will be Dec. 2nd and Dec. 9th.
- Provide gifts for our Free Methodist children in Bulgaria. Our FM church in Bulgaria has invited us to participate in their “Virtual Christmas Gift Box” program. You can learn more about it here http://virtualchristmasgiftbox.com/ and there is information at the Information Desk. This program is a simple way to help our FM missionaries spread the gospel in Bulgaria. We make a financial donation and they take it from there. You can learn more about our work in Bulgaria here: http://fmcusa.org/fmmissions/bulgaria/
- Mission Life: SEED Table Coming– Every year we have a SEED table set up before Christmas so that people can purchase items to give as gifts. People who are part of churches where we have FM missionaries serving make these items. This year the SEED table will be set up the weekend of December 8thand 9that both campuses.
- Community Life: Women’s Journey– The Wednesday night women’s bible study will begin an Advent Study on 11/28 at 7pm. The study is called “Awaiting the Already – An Advent Journey Through the Gospels” by Magrey deVega. Please contact Cricket Johnson @ 585-815-5356 or firstname.lastname@example.org sign up so books can be ordered by 11/19. Thanks!
- Serving Life: Thanksgiving Baskets– Every year Rosalina organizes a group to pack and distribute to area migrant families a thanksgiving basket containing everything needed to put on a wonderful Thanksgiving meal and an invitation to know Jesus and to worship with us at Northgate.This is a way for us to say “thank you” to people who work hard to provide much of the food we enjoy. If you want to be part of this you can give toward the baskets ($30) or seek out Rosalina to help pack or distribute them (email@example.com).
- Community Life: Israel Trip– Would you like to visit Israel in 2019 or 2020?I mentioned this to some people and received an enthusiastic “yes!” so I’m starting to keep a list and when the list is long enough we’ll have an information meeting to talk about it more. If you want to be on that list, please let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
- Community Life: “Come Alive Women’s Ministry”– The women of Northgate (and their friends) are invited to mark calendars for a craft night, Thursday, November 29th. For more information contact the office at 343-4011 or Allison@northgatefmc.com.
You Can Count on This – Mark 15:33 – At noon, darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon. (Read Mark 15:21-47)
Why the darkness? Because the perfect Son of God was being crucified for sins He didn’t commit? Because this was the saddest, most grievous moment in history? Was it God’s message to us to take notice of the weight of what was happening? Darkness, when we don’t expect it, makes us concerned and alert. The darkness described here should make us think about how serious and incredible this event was, and the immensity of the sin that had led to it. Praise God we know that the darkness does not stay permanently. “The light (of Jesus) shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it” (John 1:5).
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.