- Great Day of Giving This Weekend – This weekend we’ll be receiving our annual Great Day of Giving offering. This offering is above and beyond our regular tithes and offerings and is divided three ways: local missions, world missions and a capital project to help us do ministry better. The three local missions organizations we’ll be donating to are the Set Free Movement, Crossroads House and Habitat for Humanity. We’ll receive this offering at the end of our services and you can also give through the Kindrid App using “Great Day.” Thank you for helping us to bless others this way!
- Polar Plunge! – Pastor Daniel and Mark Logan, our Director of Operations are participating in this year’s Polar Plunge at Woodlawn Beach in Buffalo, Saturday December 7 at 2pm! The Polar Plunge will benefit Special Olympics. It’s not too late to join Daniel and Mark – they’d love to expand their team or to have you sponsor them and bless the Special Olympics.
- Circle C “Reach Event” – This Sunday from 6-8pm the people of Circle C Ranch will be here for a night of fun at our South Campus. This is for all kids in grades 5-12 and they don’t have to be Northgate attenders. For more information contact Pastor Daniel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Vintage Christmas is Coming Soon! – Our Vintage Christmas event is on Friday, December 6 from 6-8pm. This is our celebration heading into Advent and Christmas and we hold it in our “backyard” at the pavilion. There will be food, a living nativity, a bonfire, music, activities for the kids, the lighting of a Christmas tree and more. This is a great event to invite friends to – we’re looking forward to a wonderful night as we get ready to celebrate the birth of Jesus!
- Turner’s Remembrance Service – Pastor Marsha will be speaking at Turner’s Remembrance Service this year. The service is for anyone who has lost a loved one at any time – the loss doesn’t have to have come in this past year. Some people attend every year because this service is so meaningful to them. The service takes place on Wednesday, December 11 at 7pm at our North Campus.
- Join Pastor Marsha’s Group Leader Team! – Pastor Marsha is looking to recruit and prepare some new small group leaders. If you’re interested in leading or helping to lead a small group, please contact her at email@example.com. Leading/helping lead a group is great way to grow in faith in and in relationship with other followers of Jesus.
- Kids’ Movie Night/Parents’ Night Out – Children in grades K through 4 (and their potty-trained younger siblings) are invited to come to North on Saturday, December 14 at 5:30pm for a movie night. While the children enjoy a movie and snacks, their parents can take some time for themselves! Dinner out? Some Christmas shopping? Parents, please be sure to pick your children up by 7:30pm. We’d appreciate it!
- Salvation Army Thanksgiving/Christmas Help – If you’d like to help the Salvation Army serve others this Thanksgiving and Christmas, here’s a way to do it. Make a donation of a food item or a child’s toy. For November they are seeking: pasta sauce, jelly, canned tuna, chicken or fruit, dry pasta or dry mac n’ cheese. For December they are seeking: stocking stuffers, crayons, coloring books, children’s card games and small stuffed animals. Leave items at our Salvation Army box in the entryway or deliver directly to the Salvation Army offices.
- Thinking about Christmas (1) – Don’t forget to visit the Angel Tree (for the Salvation Army) and the table with information on the “Virtual Christmas Gift Box”, a ministry that helps our missionaries in Bulgaria provide Christmas gifts to the children of their church and local area. There are also a couple of slots still available for bell ringing – that sign-up is found at the Information Desk.
- Thinking about Christmas (2) – In case you’re wondering, or just want to get it on your calendar now, here are the times/locations of our Christmas Eve services this year: There will be a 4pm Candlelight service at Arbor House (350 Bank St.); our 5pm Children’s service at North; and the 7 and 11pm Candlelight/Communion services at North. Of course all of these take place on December 24. But you knew that!
You Can Count on This – Luke 21:3 – “Truly I tell you,” he said, “this poor widow has put in more than all the others.” (Read Luke 21:1-38)
I love how Jesus honors this poor widow for giving what she had to God’s kingdom. As he points out, many people were giving out of their wealth – and that may or may not have amounted to much of a sacrifice. It’s not that hard to give a little if we have a lot. But this widow, even though she only had a little, gave it all! It’s not the size of the gift, but the size of the heart and the size of the faith that we’re struck by. And O what faith she had in God! What love! Where would she get money to buy bread later? How would she survive? Apparently she was trusting God to care for her. As we need to trust Him to care for us and to be generous with what He has given us. Blessings to you!
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.