6 Things to Be Aware Of…
Please register! – The good news is that the attendance at our worship services has been increasing and we’ve been seeing new people and visitors! The bad challenging news is that our 9:30 service on Sunday has been nearing capacity. It helps a lot if people can pre-register – we don’t ever want to turn someone away from worship, or need to have them use an overflow room, especially if they are new to Northgate. Also, please know that our Saturday 6pm service has plenty of room in it and the 11am service on Sunday has more room than the 9:30 service right now. If you want to preregister to attend any service just go to our Northgate website, northgatefmc.com, or call the church office Monday – Thursday from 9-4 (343-4011). And thanks!
We Will Be Distributing Thanksgiving Bags to Migrant Families Again – Rosalina Vanegas is organizing this act of love again this year. On Saturday, November 21 we will deliver to 30 migrant families living in our area grocery bags with everything necessary for a Thanksgiving meal. If you’d like to sponsor one of these meals, just indicate “Thanksgiving Meal” on your check. Thank you!
There’s a Saturday Night Bible Study and Everyone is Welcome – On Saturday night after the 6pm service there’s a small group/Bible study meeting in Room 2/3. Everyone is welcome to attend, whether or not you attend the Saturday evening service.
We Don’t Have to Just Endure Our Emotions – Anxiety, anger, sadness, depression… there are times that every one of us experience emotions like this to an extent that they threaten to overwhelm us. We can do something about that! Right Now Media has a whole section of video resources addressing emotions and our mental health. God wants us to be emotionally well, and if you’d like to check out some things that may help you with that, you can find them here: https://www.rightnowmedia.org/Library/52
- To get a free subscription to Right Now Media you can as an attender at Northgate by clicking here: Right Now Media
Let Us Know How We Can Minister to You – As your pastors and ministry leaders we want you to know that we always love to hear from you and we especially love to know how we can pray for you and with you! Please do not hesitate to contact us. Our pastors and ministry leaders contact information can be found at http://northgatefmc.com/about/ or send prayer concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Children’s Wing is Open – The Children’s Wing is open again – for both the 9:30 & 11am services. The infant through K-4 rooms are all staffed and ready to welcome your children in a safe and fun environment. For more information you can contact Children’s Ministry Director Leah at email@example.com.
- And a huge thank you to those who have said “yes!” to ministering in the Children’s wing. We really appreciate it and so do the kids!
Ten Things To Do…
- Prepare for the Great Day of Giving Offering – Every year at Thanksgiving time we like to bless others through a special offering, which this year we will take on November 21 & 22. This offering is normally divided between a capital project here at Northgate, local human service organizations and world missions. This year, we want to forgo the capital project piece and give all of the offering away to local and world missions. So 1/3 of the offering will to Free Methodist world missions, and the remaining 2/3 will be distributed among four local agencies. Those four agencies are:
- Justice for Children – “Justice for Children was founded upon the belief that every child is entitled to a zealous advocate to fight for their safety. When the system fails to provide such advocacy, we will.”
- Lighthouse Station – A Christian maternity home in Warsaw meeting the “spiritual, physical, educational and emotional needs of pregnant and post-partum women.”
- Gateway Home – “An empathetic and loving comfort care home for the terminally ill” located in Attica.
- Project Stork – An organization in Oakfield that is “addressing the basic human needs of infants and toddlers, specifically in Orleans and Genesee Counties, while impacting maternal mental health and wellness within the household.”
- Come and Pray, or Be Prayed Over – Speaking (and listening) to God through prayer is perhaps the most important thing we can do as followers of Christ. On Wednesdays there are two opportunities to join with others in prayer. At 1pm a small group meets to pray primarily over our church and for each other. At 7pm a group meets in the sanctuary where we spend a bit of time learning how to pray, and then pray together for personal, local, national and world concerns. We also would love to pray for anyone in need of healing, whether that is from physical or emotional issues.
- And even if you can’t make one of those meetings, we still want to know how we can pray for you. Send us an email or fill out the virtual prayer card on our Northgate app. If you haven’t downloaded it yet you can find it where you get your phone apps.
- Come to Base or Ember! – Middle School students are encouraged to check out Base which is meeting on Monday nights from 6-8pm at our South campus. And if you’ve aged out of high school you’re invited to Ember which meets on Wednesday mornings at 9:15 at Pub Hub Coffee and Monday Nights at 8:30pm at South Campus. This is a gathering of people in their 20s. For more information contact Pastor Daniel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Help the Salvation Army With Gift Distribution – Arbor House and Northgate are excited to offer assistance to the Salvation Army of Batavia with their Angel Tree gift distribution this year! We are in need of volunteers to assist with this program. Packing dates for gifts will take place on December 7-12 and 14-19. Gift distribution will take place on December 21-23. You can sign up for a three hour increment for any of the days. Signing up for multiple days is encouraged! All volunteering will take place at the South Campus. Sign up for a time slot at northgatefmc.com.
- Learn to Pray With More Confidence – On Wednesday nights at 7pm, in the Northgate North sanctuary, Pastor Marsha is leading a group in prayer. During the first part of the hour Pastor Marsha is teaching on some aspect of how to pray, and then the rest of the time is spent praying. If you’ve found it difficult to pray or want to learn how to pray more confidently, this is a wonderful place to do just that!
- Deal With a Hurt, Habit or Hang-up – Celebrate Recovery meets every Thursday evening at 6:30 (including any and all holidays that fall on a Thursday, unless there is a serious snow storm) at our North Campus. Our CR leaders guide and assist those of us who are gaining joy and freedom in Christ as we apply the 12 Steps of Celebrate Recovery to the hurts, habits and hang-ups we all struggle with. All are welcome! We believe anyone and everyone would benefit by attending this group, where we allow God to transform our lives. We are able to share openly and honestly about our struggles with people we come to trust, who will maintain confidentiality, and who will not judge us. For more info, go to: https://northgatecr.weebly.com/
- Make Someone’s Christmas a Lot Brighter – We love to support the work of the Salvation Army and at Christmas time we have some great opportunities to do that. We will again be putting up an Angel Tree in our lobby, and Arbor House is going to be a host site for the distribution of gifts for the Salvation Army. In addition, we have reserved a day for Northgaters to ring the bells. There are some restrictions though: only one individual is allowed to ring the bell (no couples or families – sorry) and we only have 8 slots available. We’ll be ringing at Tops Market on December 12 from 11am – 7pm. You can sign up by calling the office (343-4011) or clicking on this link: https://northgatefmc.churchcenter.com/registrations/events/610181
- “Gather ’Round” As We Head Into the Christmas Season – On Friday, December 4 you are invited to join us for a wonderful Christmas concert at Northgate. The concert will be a live worship event in our sanctuary, but seating will be limited. We will be livestreaming it, though, and encourage people to set up watch parties to view it together at home. Registration will be needed for those who want to attend in person and more information will be available soon.
- Get Your Blood Pressure Checked – Ann Cervone will be available to check blood pressures on Sunday (11/15) and every other Sunday following that in the main office during worship time. Please stop by if you’d like her to check your blood pressure.
- Virtual Christmas Box – Another way you can bring joy to some children at Christmastime this year is to give to the Virtual Christmas Box program. This program is an outreach of our Free Methodist Church in Bulgaria. We gather and send to them the funds needed to purchase hats, gloves, candy, a small gift and a presentation of the gospel. The missionary team in Bulgaria purchases the items locally (which helps their local economy) and creates tailor-made gift boxes for the children of their community. We will be setting up a table in the lobby soon to enable you to participate in this outreach. Thanks!
You Can Count on This – Acts 1:3 – After his suffering, he presented himself to them and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God. (Read Acts 1:1-11)
I so wish I could have been one of the members of that circle that spent time with Jesus after His resurrection. What a privilege that was for those followers of His! Just to experience the thrill of seeing Him alive after knowing He had died on that cross. And to hear His final words of instruction, teaching, commission and comfort just prior to His ascension to heaven. Wow. It’s one of those “I can only imagine” moments. Thinking about it makes me so excited to see Jesus in heaven one day. Because all of us who call Him our Savior and know Him as our Lord will see Him one day, and we will experience the thrill of that for ourselves. I can’t wait!
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.