- Great Day with the United Way– This past Wednesday 18 of us from Northgate participated in the United Way Day of Caring. Our job assignment took us to Grandview Cemetery where we painted, raked and mulched and enjoyed a wonderful lunch and some conversation with members of the Grandview Board. It was another terrific day and we look forward to joining in again next year! (P.S. – If you get the Batavia Daily you’ll see two of our people at work painting.)
- Way to Go Sarah!– Mothers’ Day was a lot of fun, and included a surprise visit from Queen Esther! (Ask Pastor Marsha, if you missed it.) One of the hits was the Mothers’ Day Photo Booth that Sarah Bridgemanpainted. Based on the line that formed to take a picture at the booth, Sarah did an awesome job. Thanks Sarah!
- Have a “Grace-Filled Marriage” – Engaged Couples! Pastor Vern and Pastor Gloria want to open up this upcoming series to all engaged, as well as married, couples. We didn’t realize until we received the workbook that it is appropriate for both groups. So, whether you are newly married, long-time married, or about to be married, you are invited to join us startingSunday, June 3rdfrom 6pm – 7:15pm. Childcare will be provided. (Note: We’ll skip June 10thso everyone can attend “Celebrate the Sent” – see #7). Please sign up via the Connect Cards or at the Information Desk and for more information contact pastors Vern or Gloria (email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Genesis Annual Conference– Annual Conference is next week at Pearce and Superintendent Pam Braman has asked us to be in prayer for the Conference. Copies of the prayer guide will be placed at the Information Desk. And, in addition to Daniel Calkins and Steven Emanuele becoming Conference Ministerial Candidates and Pastor Chrisbeing ordained, I’ve learned that Rosalinawill be providing Spanish translation for the Conference. Congratulations on this new assignment Rosalina!
- Patti Welch Has Retired– Pastor Patti has officially retired, but she is going to continue to serve the Lord just as she has been doing, although in a different capacity. Pastor Patti started and led our ministry to immigrants through the ESL program here at Northgate. Currently she is talking with another FM church about starting an Immigration Law Clinic in order to provide assistance to people. Please pray for Patti as she pursues God’s plan for her in “retirement” and, Patti, thank you for what you’ve done here. May God bless this next part of your journey.
- New A-Team and Nominating Team Members and Delegates – We recently held elections and here are the results: Bob Woodwas elected to the A-Team and also elected as a Delegate; Don Weiss and Anthony Caliwere elected as Nominating Team members; and Rick Dunn and Nathan Blowerswere elected to the A-Team. Susan Wakefieldwas elected as a Reserve Delegate. Thank you to all who agreed to nominations and thank you to everyone who voted. And “welcome” to the new members of these teams!
- Baptism Classes– We are looking ahead to July 28thand 29th– our next “This Changes Everything” weekend.We will be holding baptisms that weekend along with baby dedications, and if you are interested in either, please contact one of the pastors. We are asking everyone who plans to be baptized to please try to attend one of our Baptism Classes. They will be held on Sunday July 8th(9:30am) and July 15th(11am) at North. You only need to attend one of the classes. This will give us a chance to talk about baptism and prepare for this great day!
- “Celebrate the Sent”– On June 10th, from 6-8pmwe will hold a gallery showing of Mark Logan’s photos from Rwanda, along with a time of sharing from Northgaters who have gone on missions trips this year. Desserts will be available as well. This will be a wonderful time of celebrating the good things God is doing through us and we hope you’ll be able to come.
- May is Mental Health Awareness Month–The month of May is designated as Mental Health Awareness Month, a time to recognize that many of us, or perhaps our friends, neighbors or family members, experience a mental health issue like depression, anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder or something else. God cares about our mental health and so do we at Northgate. If you or someone you love is experiencing a mental health issue, and you don’t know where to get help, please speak to one of the pastors and together we’ll pray and explore the options. There is no need to go through a difficult time alone.
- Gahanda News!– Because you have given so generously to our Gahanda partners we were able to send a gift to them this last week so that they could build a new school building withthree new classrooms. Thank you so much for supporting the good work there!
You Can Count on This – Matt. 23:5a – Everything they do is done for men to see. (Read Matt. 23:1-39)
In this chapter Jesus lays into the Pharisees for their hypocritical ways. Much of his criticism of them is around their love of the attention they seek to get. But didn’t Jesus also say we should do good things in such a way that people take notice? (Matthew 5:16) He did. But if you go back and read that verse, our desire ought to be that God gets the glory, not us. That’s the difference: the Pharisees were seeking glory for themselves, not for God.
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.