- Happy Mothers’ Day!– We want to wish all of our moms a happy Mothers’ Day. And in honor of our moms Northgate is giving a financial gift to All Babies Cherished, here in Batavia. ABC is a wonderful agency committed to caring for pregnant moms and their babies, and for those who have given birth but need some additional help. We’re happy to support them in their mission.
- Have a “Grace-Filled Marriage” – Engaged Couples! Pastor Vern and Pastor Gloria want to open up this upcoming series to all engaged, as well as married, couples. We didn’t realize until we received the workbook that it is appropriate for both groups. So, whether you are newly married, long-time married, or about to be married, you are invited to join us startingSunday, June 3rdfrom 6pm – 7:15pm. Childcare will be provided. (Note: We’ll skip June 10thso everyone can attend “Celebrate the Sent” – see #7). Please sign up via the Connect Cards or at the Information Desk and for more information contact pastors Vern or Gloria (email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Genesis Annual Conference– Annual Conference will be held at Pearce Memorial Church on May 24thand 25th. We are excited to announce that on the evening of the 24th, beginning at 7pm, an Ordination Service will be held and three of our people will be a part of it. Pastor Chriswill be ordained as an Elder, and Daniel Calkins and Steven Emanuelewill become Conference Ministerial Candidates! Everyone is welcome to attend the service and congratulate Chris, Steven and Daniel.
- Patti Welch Has Retired– Pastor Patti has officially retired, but she is going to continue to serve the Lord just as she has been doing, although in a different capacity. Pastor Patti started and led our ministry to immigrants through the ESL program here at Northgate. Currently she is talking with another FM church about starting an Immigration Law Clinic in order to provide assistance to people. Please pray for Patti as she pursues God’s plan for her in “retirement” and, Patti, thank you for what you’ve done here. May God bless this next part of your journey.
- Movie Night – “Tortured for Christ”– Friday, May 18th, we will be showing the film “Tortured for Christ” which depicts the life of Pastor Richard Wurmbrand, the founder of the Voice of the Martyrs, who was imprisoned and tortured in Romania while sharing the gospel. To attend the showing you can purchase a ticket at https://www.tugg.com/events/tortured-for-christ-movie-syo3or get one the night of the movie at the church. Tickets are $5.00. PLEASE NOTE: This film is not appropriate for young children. We suggest children be at least 5thgrade level and we encourage parents to watch the film with their children if possible. To learn more about the film you can visit this link: https://www.torturedforchrist.com/about/about-the-movie/or contact Daniel Calkins at email@example.com
- Baptism Classes– We are looking ahead to July 28thand 29th– our next “This Changes Everything” weekend.We will be holding baptisms that weekend along with baby dedications, and if you are interested in either, please contact one of the pastors. We are asking everyone who plans to be baptized to please try to attend one of our Baptism Classes. They will be held on Sunday July 8th(9:30am) and July 15th(11am) at North. You only need to attend one of the classes. This will give us a chance to talk about baptism and prepare for this great day!
- “Celebrate the Sent”– You may want to save the date of June 10th, from 6-8pm. That Sunday night we are planning to hold a gallery showing of Mark Logan’s photos from Rwanda, along with a time of sharing from Northgaters who have gone on missions trips this year. We’re also planning some type of dessert/fundraising event for that night. This will be a wonderful time of celebrating the good things God is doing through us and we hope you’ll be able to come.
- Do You Have a God Story to Tell? – Update–We’ve heard from four people with stories to tell, and we’re going to be working on getting those stories recorded so we can share them, to encourage others in our church. We’d love to have more to share, so if you have a testimony, a story of how God has been at work in your life, or any kind of encouragement you’d like to pass on, please let one of the pastors know!
- May is Mental Health Awareness Month–Please make a special effort to pray this month for those struggling with a mental health issue. And if you need to talk to a pastor about something, please know we are available and would love to sit down with you.
- Gahanda News!– Melissa Vanelli has been praying about whether or not God would want her to go to Gahanda to help with teacher training, and she has heard God say “yes!” We are in the very early stages of planning this trip, and we need to find two or three others who can join her. If you are interested, please contact Pastor Vern at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You Can Count on This – Matt. 22:46 – No one could say a word in reply, and from that day on no one dared to ask him any more questions. (Read Matt. 22:1-45)
I noticed something today, re-reading this chapter. Jesus’ teaching had a way of leaving people speechless. One group challenges him on a tax issue, and leave amazed by him. Another group challenges him on a heaven issue, and leave astonished. And then when Jesus challenges a group to understand his identity, they leave with nothing to say in reply. I think we can get so familiar with Jesus’ words that we are not amazed, astonished or silenced by them. We need to be willing let Jesus’ words speak to us today with the same power with which they spoke to people then. Pray that God would open your heart and mind to really hear Jesus.
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.