- Baptism – This past weekend we celebrated the rite of baptism with several adults, youth, children. We had many visitors as a result and it seems fair to assume that some people might wonder exactly what is baptism about? Well, in the Free Methodist church we believe that baptism is a symbol of our relationship with Jesus. Baptism does not save us from our sins but signifies that we have admitted that we are sinners who have placed our faith in Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of our sins. Jesus’ death on the cross paid for our sin, and our faith in Jesus applies that forgiveness to us. Baptism is a witness to our relationship with Jesus.
- Bible Quizzing at Northgate – On Saturday March 3rd Northgate is hosting a Free Methodist Quizzing program. Quizzing is about learning the Bible, memorizing key verses and passages and then engaging in a fast-paced and often very tense Quiz competition, with seat buzzers, judges and coaches, and trophies handed out when it’s all over. If you’ve never seen a Quiz meet, or are interested in learning more about FM Quizzing, just stop in at some point during the day – it’s really a fun experience!
- Prime Timers – Prime Timers is a monthly luncheon for people of Northgate and their friends, and is geared to those 55 years old and over. I always enjoy saying “hi” to people and sampling the potluck offerings (especially the desserts!) If you’d like to join in, you are very welcome to. The next meeting of Prime Timers will be March 8th (2nd Thursday) at Noon at North in the Café.
- BASE Game Night – Next Gen Director Daniel is arranging a game night for Saturday, March 16th at the South Campus. This game night will run from 4pm to Midnight and is primarily for 4th graders through High Schoolers, but parents are welcome to stick around and play some games as well. If you’d like more information about this, contact Daniel at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Have a Van You’re Not Using (or Want to Use to Help Our ESL Students)? – We have a group of committed students for our ESL program, but unfortunately many of them lack transportation to get here. We have volunteers to drive (and could use more) but could use a van to do the transporting. If you can help, contact Pastor Patti at email@example.com
- Sponsor a Child from Gahanda – We will be offering everyone an opportunity to sponsor a child from our Connected Communities partner village in Gahanda, Rwanda. About 100 Northgate people have already done so, but it may be that you missed the last opportunity or weren’t prepared to do it the last time it was offered, and if so, here’s your chance – March 3/4 and 17/18! Sponsorship is $30/month and that goes a long way to making the life of the children of Gahanda a lot richer. To find our more about sponsorship you can check out this website: http://www.childcareministries.org
- Mission Opportunities – Here are some ways to get involved in local and global missions:
- Migrant Families Easter Bags – Every year we gift 30 migrant families with an Easter Bag full of all that’s needed to have Easter dinner. You can help by buying a bag of food ($30) or packing the bags or delivering (contact Rosalina through the church office – 343-4011)
- Start a Set Free Bible Study – Learn more about the Set Free movement by holding a Set Free Bible study. We’ll provide the books; we just need a leader to facilitate the group. Facilitation is easy! Just read and follow the study guide. Interested? Contact Pastor Marsha at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Go to Hungary and Participate in a Young Adult Bible Study – Julie Worthington is looking for some young adults to join her in July of 2019 on a mission trip to Gyor, Hungary. This would be to meet and encourage young adult Christians there. If you are interested in going, contact Julie at email@example.com
- Military Bulletin Board – We’d like to update our Military Personnel bulletin board. If you have new pictures and information, or pictures/information that is not up there but should be, please contact Allison at the church office – firstname.lastname@example.org
- New Wednesday Night Bible Study – Pastor Chris will be starting a new study on Wednesday nights on the Ten Commandments (April 4th at North). Schedules are available on the Information Desk, and you can get more information at email@example.com
- Save the Dates –
- March 29th – Journey to the Cross; Seder Meal at Arbor House
- April 22nd – The Summit 3 – Our Church’s annual meeting of celebration
- May 16th – United Way Day of Caring (over 30 Northgaters participated last year!)
You Can Count on This – Matthew 20:15 – Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous? – (Read Matthew 20:1-16)
It’s easy to read Jesus’ story and cry out “Unfair!” We are so wired to expect that those who do more should get more. But Jesus reminds us that God is a generous God and sometimes that means things may look unfair to us. Still, what’s fair about Jesus going to cross to die for our sins? That’s an amazing act of generous grace and we are called to live like that. So let’s focus not on how to get what’s fair, but on how to be generous!
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.