- Runners – Get Ready! – Spring is coming – I’m sure of it! With warmer weather you might think about getting out for more walks or even a run or two. And if you want some motivation, you can sign up for the All Babies Cherished 5K which is going to happen Saturday, June 13. You can run in this event, or walk, or even push a stroller (I’ve seen it more than once!). Your participation will help support one of the good ministries here in Batavia. Sign up at https://runsignup.com/Race/NY/Batavia/ABCrunbabyrun?rsus=100-200-07d9ddd6-0742-4b85-a091-537918d97fa5
- Quest of Equality – Roberts Wesleyan College is hosting a conference designed to educate about modern day slavery, on Monday March 23 and Tuesday March 24. There will be keynote addresses and workshops on various aspects of this problem. To learn more and register to attend you can go to https://www.roberts.edu/event-the-quest-for-equality-academic-day/.
- This Changes Everything – Baptism/Dedication Weekend – Congratulations to everyone who was baptized or had their child baptized or dedicated this past weekend. We love celebrating with you the relationship you have with Jesus! May God bless you for your faithful witness of his love and presence in your lives.
- Northgate 101 (Membership Class) – We have scheduled our next “Northgate 101” class. This class meets on three consecutive Sunday mornings, March 15, 22 and 29 at 9:30am at North. Pastor John, Pastor Vern and Pastor Marsha each take one session and discuss things like how Free Methodism got started, what we believe, the requirements for becoming a member and other topics. This class is required if you want to become a church member, but everyone is welcome to attend. Please let us know if you plan on coming by sending an email to email@example.com.
- Missions Night Postponed – Unfortunately we have decided we need to postpone the Mission Night we had scheduled for next Tuesday (March 17). One of our expected guests, Gerry MacNamara, is unable to get here from Europe. We’ll let you know when this event is rescheduled. And if you planned to make a dessert, thank you for that!
- Save the Date – “IF Gathering” – Ladies – you will want to save the dates of March 27 and 28 for the next “IF Gathering”. We held this video conference for the first time last year and it was very well-received. Register on the Northgate website, northgatefmc.com.
- Journey to the Cross – We are six weeks away from Easter, and our Easter week services will again begin with the “Journey to the Cross.” Mark your calendars for this family-friendly, “come and go as you like” event which is April 9 from 6-8pm at North.
- United Way Day of Caring – Although the Day of Caring isn’t until May 13 registrations will be due in a few short weeks. Every year the staff of Northgate and members of our congregation participate in this event, where we get to show our love for our community by engaging in some act of service. If you’d like to be a part of this year’s event you can sign up at the Information Desk. Registrations are due by the end of March. Thanks!
- Volunteer Appreciation Picnic – I know this is really early – but you might want to mark your calendar for our Volunteer Appreciation picnic which we are planning for Saturday, May 16, from 4-8pm. This event is open to anyone who volunteers in service to the church. Maybe you serve in the Nursery once a month… you’re invited! Maybe you shovel snow when needed… you’re invited! It doesn’t matter how often you serve or where you serve – if you have helped out anywhere we hope we’ll see you there so we can say “Thank you!”.
- 10. Spiritual Gifts Training – If you are interested in learning more about spiritual gifts, and taking an inventory to discover your own gifts, you might want to go over to Right Now Media and take a look at the course called “Discovering Ourselves: Design” led by Wayne Cordeiro. I’ve appreciated Pastor Cordeiro’s books and insights. And Right Now Media is available free to Northgate attenders – just contact the church office for information on how to sign up.
You Can Count on This – John 3:30 – He must become greater; I must become less. (Read John 3:22-36)
The attitude of John the Baptist is one that I’ve tried to emulate. And it’s one that I want to emulate more and more. That is, I want, by my life and my words, to point people to Jesus. I want him to become more, even as I become less. I know I am not the Savior people need: they need Jesus. But I can help people to look to him. God help me to do that.
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.