- Congratulations to All Who Were Baptized! – Father’s Day weekend was a time of wonderful celebration for us as we baptized 15 people that weekend! Congratulations to Easton, Louise, Nora, Clare, Justin, Anna, Krystal, Zach, Noah, Kinsley, Reese, Teisha, Isabella, Trinity and Max! A relationship with Jesus really does change everything and we’re thrilled that you have made this public profession of your faith in him!
- Star Spangled 4th At Northgate North – Kelley Switzer is organizing a July 4th “Firework Watching” at Northgate that will include food and fun activities. Our North campus has a pretty good viewing of the fireworks display that follows the Muckdog game, and we are inviting you to come and watch from our parking lot, and bring a friend!
- Save the Date (1) for Habitat for Humanity – Every year we volunteer with Habitat for Humanity by participating in a build day. Northgate’s build day this year is Saturday, July 22nd. We’ll get more information to you on this in coming weeks, but if you’re available, think about coming out to help – it’s for a good cause and it’s a lot of fun too!
- Bring and Build and Send – Our mission as a church is to bring people to Jesus, build them up in that relationship and send them out to change the world. Most of the time the “sending” is local: to our families, workplaces, schools, neighborhoods, etc. Sometimes people hear God ask them to explore something that takes them further away. Stephen and Linny Emanuele are in the midst of discerning God’s will for them regarding serving as missionaries in Oostende, Belgium. They have spent time exploring this with Rev. Mitch Pierce, the FM Missions Area Director for Eastern Europe. Their next step is an exploratory trip to Belgium this July. Please keep them in prayer as they prepare, and if you’d like to help them with their expenses, please mark the donation accordingly. Thanks!
- Help the Salvation Army Distribute School Supplies – The Salvation Army has a goal of providing 300 backpacks to area students in need, filled with all the school supplies necessary for the upcoming year. A filled backpack is $25 and donations can be made to the Salvation Army (529 East Main Street, Batavia) or you can bring supplies here and we’ll see that they get over to the S.A. A list of the things they need is available at the Information Desk, or call the S.A. at 343-6284.
- Faith at the Fair – On July 18th, from 4-10pm you are invited to attend “An evening of spirit filled music.” Various worship bands from the area will be providing the music, and the admission is free to the fair and the concert (there is a $5 cost per car for parking though).
- Save the Date (2) for the Set Free Conference – Summer is here, and things will get busy, so please take a moment to mark down on your calendar the Set Free Conference. Northgate will be holding this conference in partnership with Valley Chapel Free Methodist Church. It will take place at our North Campus on September 23rd starting at 8:30am and going until noon. This conference will be focused on informing people about the reality of the human trafficking that occurs here in the U.S. and around the world, and in our own state. More information will be coming!
- Foster Care Families are Needed – There are children in Genesee County who are in need of loving adults to provide foster care or become adoptive parents. Many of you in our congregation have already done so, or are engaged in providing that family home now. Thank you for opening your home to these children! If you are interested in knowing how you can be a part of this, please contact Cheryl Stenger at the Department of Social Services, 344-2580, ext. 6414.
- The “Here and Now Festival” is Coming in August – August 25 and 26th to be exact. Anthony and Brothers McClurg will be performing along with other well-known worship bands. There will be food trucks, vendors, a kids stage and more. Karen VanWyngaarden is our Northgate representative to the planning team and if you want more information you can contact her at email@example.com or get a flyer at the Information Desk.
- Light and Life Magazine – Light and Life is our Free Methodist denomination’s monthly magazine and it’s a good way to learn about what is going on with our leadership and our churches. Look for this month’s edition on a table in the Adult Wing hallway. The June copy is focused on “Planting”, and there’s an article about MOPS in it. MOPS is a ministry we very much appreciate at Northgate!
You Can Count on This – “But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.” – Matthew 9:13 (Read Matthew 9:9-13)
My initial response to this is relief. Jesus says that he has come to call sinners, not the righteous. I think in this case he’s saying that he isn’t calling those who think they are perfect in righteousness, but he’s calling those who know they’ve fallen short of perfect righteousness. That’s me! By admitting we’ve not lived up to God’s perfect standards, we can be welcomed into God’s family! That’s good news!
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.