- Bible Quizzing Returns– Quizzing has a deep history at our church and Pastor Marsha (a Quizzing alumna), along with Pastor Dan, are bringing it back full-force for the 2018-19 school year! All 6th – 12th graders can be Bible Quizzers starting this Fall. We’ll study the second half of Luke and the whole book of Jonah — it should be a whale of a time. Practices will be Sundays after second service, food included, and rides home can be provided, if needed. Whether you’re slightly curious, moderately interested, or totally sold on joining the team, mark your calendars for an informational meeting the last Sunday of August (8/26) from 12:15 – 1:30pm. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for more info.
- Baptism Classes– We are looking ahead to July 28thand 29th– our next “This Changes Everything” weekend.We will be holding baptisms that weekend along with baby dedications, and if you are interested in either, please contact one of the pastors. We are asking everyone who plans to be baptized to please try to attend one of our Baptism Classes. They will be held on Saturday, July 7th(7pm), Sunday July 8th(9:30am) and July 15th(11am) at North. You only need to attend one of the classes. We’ll talk about baptism and prepare for this great day!
- Star Spangled Celebration (on the 3rd!)– Last year we held a party on July 4th, right in our own backyard. The purpose was to have fun, and also to be good hosts to those from our community who come to our parking lot to watch the fireworks at Dwyer Stadium after the baseball game. The party begins about 7pmon July 3rdwith games, a juggler, food and more. We’d love to see you there, and to have you invite friends and family too! Bring a lawn chair. We’ll provide the rest. (If you want to help put on this party, you can talk to Kelley Switzer. Reach her atKelley@northgatefmc.com)
- College Age Fellowship & Study– If you fit into the category of a college age student, you are invited to a new gathering happening on Sunday nights at 7pm at our South Campus. Zach Laird has organized this time of rec and Bible Study. The rec is basketball and Kan Jam, etc. and the study is called “Audience of One.” This has just begun so it’s not too late to join in. For more information contact Pastor Dan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Single Parenting Group– Joan Stevens is leading a parenting group for single parents on Mondays at 6pm. The meeting takes place in Room 101 at the South Campus and is open to all single parents whether they are part of Northgate or not. To sign up please call the church office at 343-4011. This study lasts 13 weeks.
- Puerto Rico Missions– Our friends in Puerto Rico continue to recover from the devastation caused by Hurricane Maria. Some churches have sent teams down there to help out, and if anyone at Northgate feels the call to do the same, that opportunity continues to exist. If you’d like more information on this, please contact Pastor Vern at email@example.com
- Wednesday Prayer Groups– You are invited to join with others to pray for our church and community on Wednesdays at 1 and 6 p.m.The 1 p.m. Prayer Group prays for one hour in Meeting Room 3 at North Campus. The 6 p.m. Prayer Group meets at North Campus and then heads out to various community locations to pray. If weather allows, this group often goes on a prayer walk as well. We’d love to include you in either of these prayer opportunities!
- Ice Cream Social– Thank you to all who helped host our ice cream social this past weekend. It couldn’t have turned out better! Suzie and Louis dished it up Saturday night and Lugias provided it on Sunday. All together we served over 500 people ice cream and spent some quality time together (don’t we always?). This is something we should do again, don’t you think?
- VBS at St. Paul’s– St. Paul Lutheran Church is hosting a summer Vacation Bible School Program titled ‘Passport to Heaven’. All children ages Pre-K to Grade 6 are invited to join us the week of June 25-29 from 9:00-11:30 a.m. Registration is requested by stopping by the office at 31 Washington Ave., Batavia. This program will include Bible stories, crafts, music, snacks, skits, games and lots of fun. For questions, please contact 585-343-0488.
- Congratulations to Our Ultimate Frisbee Team– Northgate’s UFT, a combined team of some of our young people with some young people from Greece, NY, took 3rdplace in this year’s league. They lost to Brighton (a team they had beaten earlier in the year) but 3rdplace is still a great achievement. Congratulations team!
You Can Count on This – Matt. 28:8 – So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples. (Read Matt. 28:1-20)
Fear and joy. It seems like an unusual combination of emotions but then these were very unusual events they were experiencing! Earthquakes; a stone rolling away from a tomb; guards falling down like dead men; an angel making an announcement about Jesus’ resurrection! These things don’t happen just every day! Fear and joy make a lot of sense in this context. And the best was yet to come…. in a few moments they would actually speak with and see Jesus, alive! Then they felt something else… the beautiful feeling of worship, as they fell at his feet.
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.