- Star Spangled 4th At Northgate North – Thank you Kelley, Traci and everyone else who helped put on the July 4th celebration this week. Over 200 people came out for the games, bonfire with S’mores, and fireworks (courtesy of the Batavia Muckdogs!). It was a wonderful way to celebrate our nation’s independence!
- Save the Date (1) for Habitat for Humanity – Every year we volunteer with Habitat for Humanity by participating in a build day. Northgate’s build day this year is Saturday, July 22nd. There is information available at the Information Desk. If you’re available, think about coming out to help – it’s for a good cause and it’s a lot of fun too!
- Bring and Build and Send – Our mission as a church is to bring people to Jesus, build them up in that relationship and send them out to change the world. Stephen and Linny Emanuele are in the midst of discerning God’s will for them regarding being sent to serve as missionaries in Oostende, Belgium. They have spent time exploring this with Rev. Mitch Pierce, the FM Missions Area Director for Eastern Europe. Their next step is an exploratory trip to Belgium this July. Please keep them in prayer as they prepare, and if you’d like to help them with their expenses, please mark the donation accordingly. Thanks!
- Help the Salvation Army Distribute School Supplies – The Salvation Army has a goal of providing 300 backpacks to area students in need, filled with all the school supplies necessary for the upcoming year. A filled backpack is $25 and donations can be made to the Salvation Army (529 East Main Street, Batavia) or you can bring supplies here and we’ll see that they get over to the S.A. A list of the things they need is available at the Information Desk, or call the S.A. at 343-6284.
- Save the Date (2) for the Set Free Conference – Northgate will be holding a Set Free conference in partnership with Valley Chapel Free Methodist Church at our North Campus on September 23rd starting at 8:30am and going until noon. This conference will be focused on informing people about the reality of the human trafficking that occurs here in the U.S. and around the world, and in our own state. More information will be coming!
- What Would You Like To Know? – Our current sermon series is focused on what happens to us after we die. On the last weekend of the series we’d like to address your questions on this topic, and you can help us by submitting them via the Northgate App (See the “Life After Life” icon on the opening screen) or by card (cards are available at the Information Desk), or by email (email John or Vern at northgatefmc.com).
- Faith at the Fair – On July 18th, from 4-10pm you are invited to attend “An evening of spirit filled music.” Various worship bands from the area will be providing the music, and the admission is free to the fair and the concert (there is a $5 cost per car for parking though).
- Foster Care Families are Needed – There are children in Genesee County who are in need of loving adults to provide foster care or become adoptive parents. Many of you in our congregation have already done so, or are engaged in providing that family home now. Thank you for opening your home to these children! If you are interested in knowing how you can be a part of this, please contact Cheryl Stenger at the Department of Social Services, 344-2580, ext. 6414.
- The “Here and Now Festival” is Coming in August – August 25 and 26th to be exact. Anthony and Brothers McClurg will be performing along with other well-known worship bands. There will be food trucks, vendors, a kids stage and more. Karen VanWyngaarden is our Northgate representative to the planning team and if you want more information you can contact her at email@example.com or get a flyer at the Information Desk.
- Light and Life Magazine – Light and Life is our Free Methodist denomination’s monthly magazine and it’s a good way to learn about what is going on with our leadership and our churches. Look for this month’s edition on a table in the Adult Wing hallway. The June copy is focused on “Planting”, and there’s an article about MOPS in it. MOPS is a ministry we very much appreciate at Northgate!
You Can Count on This – “No one sews a patch of unshrunk cloth on an old garment, for the patch will pull away from the garment, making the tear worse.” Matthew 9:16 (Read Matthew 9:14-17)
Jesus came into the world to do a new thing – to offer God’s grace and forgiveness and Spirit to everyone who would receive them through faith in him. Some people wanted to hold onto old things while taking some of the new, and Jesus responds with a teaching that this is not possible. We can’t clutch to what we were and also allow God to make us completely new! Jesus invites us to embrace his offer of a new way of life, centered on him and his love and sacrifice for us. What do you need to let go of, to embrace the new life that Jesus is offering?
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.