- Mission Team Meets This Sunday– The Northgate Mission Team will be meeting this Sunday at 12:15pm in Meeting Room #2. Anyone who wants to know what’s going on in the area of missions, or with a desire to be involved in making something happen is welcome to attend! This team helps to organize international mission trips, increase awareness in our church about the ways we’re involved in local and global missions, and determine how we will use our mission resources to make the most impact. We’d love to have you join in and help!
- Puerto Rico Missions– Speaking of missions, I’ve heard from several people about their interest in forming a team to go to Puerto Rico, to help with some construction work, especially with repairing roofs that were damaged by Hurricane Maria. Now I’m looking for a committed individual who could serve as the Team Organizer. If you’d be interested in that role, or want more information on this effort, please contact Pastor Vern at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ephaste Got His Visa!– Thank you for praying for Ephaste – our Rwandan International Childcare Ministries (ICCM) director! He was awarded a visa allowing him to come visit us in September. This’ll be a wonderfully encouraging time for us as he fills us in on all that our partnership with Gahanda is accomplishing. He’ll be here the week of September 10-16, and we’ll keep you posted as we get closer.
- Lyndsay Debo’s Mission Trip to Kenya–Please be in prayer for Lyndsay and the rest of the Bible Quizzers who are in Kenya this week on a mission trip. Lyndsay began her travel to Kenya this past Tuesday, so please keep her and the team in prayer for good travel, health and safety, good ministry opportunities and for God to do something special in Lyndsay’s life in response to her commitment to serve him this way!
- This Changes Everything– Next weekend (July 28/29) we are holding a baptism/dedication service at North. These are always special times for us as we celebrate with those who have put their faith in Jesus, or who are making a pledge before the church to raise their children to know and love Jesus. It’s not too late to join those who’ve already signed up – but you would need to talk to one of the pastors before the service, so if you’re interested, please talk to Pastor John, Pastor Marsha or Pastor Vern. And if you have a “This Changes Everything” T-Shirt, that weekend is the time to wear it!
- Summer Group Life – Many Northgate groups take a break this time of year, but a few are just starting up and/or meeting exclusively for the summer, including: College-Age Northgaters (Sunday am and pm); Single Parenting(Monday pm) and Trim Healthy Mamas(Monday pm). For more information on any of these, email email@example.com.
- Bible Quizzing Returns– Pastor Marsha and Pastor Dan are bringing Quizzing back full-force for the 2018-19 school year and all 6th-12thgraders are invited to be part of it. We’ll study the second half of Luke and the whole book of Jonah. Practices will be Sundays after the second service, food included, and rides home can be provided, if needed. An informational meeting will be held the last Sunday of August (8/26) from 12:15 to 1:30pm. For more information you can email firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com.
- Catch a Great Movie – “I Can Only Imagine”– Quite a few people have told me that they’ve seen this movie and really loved it. I haven’t had the chance to see it yet, and if you haven’t either, here’s an opportunity. It’s being shown at the 1stBaptist Church in Wyoming on July 22ndat 6pm. If you have any questions you can call Beth Britton at 585-356-0969.
- Base Camp is a Hit– I want to thank Pastor Daniel and his leadership team for their work putting on this year’s Base Camp. They are on Day 4 today and everything is going really well. About 40 kids are participating, and several of our older teens are gaining great leadership experience. It’s been a good week and Daniel is already thinking about ways to make camp even better next year. If you’d like to help Pastor Daniel make a lasting impact on the lives of young people, he’d love to have you talk to him about getting involved – you can contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Marriage Bible Study and Acts Study– There are two weeks left for these two studies, but everyone is welcome to attend. The Marriage study happens Sunday night from 6-7:15 (childcare provided) and the Acts study is Monday night from 6:30-8pm (no childcare). Both groups meet at North. We’ll take August off from these groups, but plan to start up again, with new topics in September.
You Can Count on This – Mark 4:9 – Then Jesus said, “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear.” (Read Mark 4:1-41)
The way I understand this is Jesus is saying to people (us) if you are interested in understanding, if you want to hear, if you will be open to hearing, then listen, and hear! Which helps me understand why Jesus’ closest followers immediately after, when they got him alone, asked him to explain the story he had just told. They wanted to understand. The message for us? If we’re ever going to understand who Jesus is and what he’s about we also have to want to know, to be open to hearing things that challenge us, and be willing to ask questions and seek greater understanding. Too many people make up their mind before they really understand something, or someone. Listening to understand can be hard work, but it’s almost always worth it.
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.