- Base Camp is Here – Next Week!– Pastor Daniel and his team of leaders are finishing up last minute preparations for Base Camp which begins on Monday. It’s not too late to register a young person for the camp – just contact him at email@example.com. There’s a great week of various kinds of activities planned which should appeal to young people with all kinds of interests. Thanks Dan, and we’re praying for a great week!
- Puerto Rico Missions– Our friends in Puerto Rico continue to recover from the devastation caused by Hurricane Maria. Some churches have sent teams down there to help out, and if anyone at Northgate feels the call to do the same, that opportunity continues to exist. The need right now is for people who can help with construction projects. If you’d like more information on this, please contact Pastor Vern at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ephaste Got His Visa!– Thank you for praying for Ephaste – our Rwandan International Childcare Ministries (ICCM) director! He had his interview on Monday and was awarded a visa allowing him to come visit us in September. This’ll be a wonderfully encouraging time for us as he fills us in on all that our partnership with Gahanda is accomplishing. He’ll be here the week of September 10-16, and we’ll keep you posted as we get closer.
- Lyndsay Debo is Headed to Kenya– Please be in prayer for Lyndsay and the rest of the Bible Quizzers who are going to Kenya this week on a mission trip.Lyndsay is leaving on Tuesday – so pray for good travel, health and safety, good ministry opportunities and for God to do something special in Lyndsay’s life in response to her commitment to serve him this way!
- Going Away Party for Traci and Jeff Birge– This Sunday at 11:15am the Arbor House congregation will be holding a goodbye party for Traci and Jeff and their girls. They are going to be moving to California this summer where Traci will be teaching Old Testament at Azusa Pacific University. We’re super excited for the Birge family but we will miss them greatly as well. If you’d like to congratulate them and wish them God’s blessings on their venture, you’re welcome to go down to South Campus this Sunday for the festivities!
- Summer Group Life – Many Northgate groups take a break this time of year, but a few are just starting up and/or meeting exclusively for the summer, including: College-Age Northgaters (Sunday am and pm); Single Parenting(Monday pm) and Trim Healthy Mamas(Monday pm). For more information on any of these, email email@example.com.
- Bible Quizzing Returns– Pastor Marsha and Pastor Dan are bringing Quizzing back full-force for the 2018-19 school year and all 6th-12thgraders are invited to be part of it. We’ll study the second half of Luke and the whole book of Jonah. Practices will be Sundays after the second service, food included, and rides home can be provided, if needed. An informational meeting will be held the last Sunday of August (8/26) from 12:15 to 1:30pm. For more information you can email firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com.
- Catch a Great Movie – “I Can Only Imagine”– Quite a few people have told me that they’ve seen this movie and really loved it. I haven’t had the chance to see it yet, and if you haven’t either, here’s an opportunity. It’s being shown at the 1stBaptist Church in Wyoming on July 22ndat 6pm. If you have any questions you can call Beth Britton at 585-356-0969.
- Sent Likewise– Our Base group has begun a new ministry called “Sent Likewise”. They will complete community action projects and personal acts of service for anyone in need of assistance. Activities include yard cleanup, painting, moving or anything you believe we could be helpful with. As a church, we believe that we are to be built upin order to be sentoutinto the world to change it through the love of Jesus. Please help us by telling us how we can be useful to you and our community. Call (343-4011) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Celebrate Recovery– Pastor Dave Odachowski and the CR TEAM lead those of us who are gaining joy and freedom in Christ by applying the 12-Steps of Celebrate Recovery to the hurts, habits and hang-ups we struggle with. Meetings are 6:30pm every Thursday at the North Campus. For more info, please contact Pastor Dave at email@example.com.
You Can Count on This – Mark 3:21 – When his family heard about this, they went to take charge of him, for they said, “He is out of his mind.” (Read Mark 3:1-35)
We shouldn’t be too hard on Jesus’ family when we read about them trying to do an intervention on Jesus. They didn’t understand exactly what he was about, and they were worried about him. I don’t know what it’d be like to try to wrap your head around your son/brother being the Son of God! And then, how many people today struggle to understand who Jesus is and what he’s about? The irony of this event is that while they thought Jesus was “out of his mind” he was the only one who was perfectly in his “right mind” – he was the only one who knew exactly what life was about and what relationship with God was about and what our lives with others are to be about. Instead of dismissing Jesus because he’s so different, we should seek to know him better, so he can put all of us in our “right mind!”
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.