- Mission Support Team– Did you know that Northgate has an active Missions Planning Team that meets monthly to discuss how we are involved in local and international missions, and to pray and plan for the future? This team meets on the 4th Sunday of the month at about 12:15pm in Meeting Room #3 at the North Campus. Everyone with an interest in missions is welcome to attend. And if you can’t make the meeting but would like to be a “Mission Support” person, there’s a place for you also. We need people to be in regular prayer about our mission work. If you are interested in being part of prayer team, contact our Mission Team Leader, Angelo Dispenza at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rock-a-Bye Babies– The Northgate MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) could use a few good rocking chairs in the Community Room at South Campus. The rockers would make it easier for the mothers and mentor moms to soothe their babies during MOPS meetings. If you have a rocking chair that you’re no longer using but is still in good condition, please consider donating it to MOPS. Contact Traci at 585-409-7943. (Please do not drop off chairs without calling first – we may have all we can use! Thanks!)
- Bible Quiz Tournament Here– On February 2nd Northgate will host a Conference Bible Quizzing Tournament. We now have two teams (!) participating in Bible quizzing under the leadership of Pastor Daniel and Pastor Marsha. The Tournament will feature teams from all over our Conference and is a lot of fun to watch. If you’d like to volunteer to help with this or want more information contact either Pastor Daniel (email@example.com) or Pastor Marsha (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the church office (343-4011).
- Financial Peace University– The next FPU course starts on Wednesday, February 6th. A lot of Northgaters have found financial peace by attending the course and following through on the teaching. If you’d like more information about FPU look for FPU on our website (northgatefmc.com) under the “Build” section or contact Pastor John at email@example.com.
- Digging Deeper– The Monday night discipleship group will begin meeting again on February 4that 6:30pm (North campus; Room #3). We will be studying the books of 1st, 2nd, and 3rdJohn. These are short letters found near the end of the Bible, that are packed with important messages about our relationship with God. Everyone is welcome to attend this group. If you’d like to be able to get the book that we’ll be using, it is in the Christ-Centered Exposition series (1, 2, 3 John) and is available at Amazon and Christianbook.com.
- Bible Reading Plan– The start of a new year often means the start of a new Bible reading plan. If you’re looking for one, I found a website with several good options; one may be just right for you. Check them out at https://www.backtothebible.org/one-year-reading-plans
- Community Life: Wednesday Prayer Groups– You are invited to join with others to pray for our church and community on Wednesdays at 1 and 6 p.m. The 1 p.m. Prayer Group prays for one hour in Meeting Room 3 at North Campus. The 6 p.m. Prayer Group meets at North Campus also. If weather allows, this group often goes on a prayer walk as well. We’d love to include you in either of these prayer opportunities!
- Community Life: Mens/Womens Groups– On Wednesday nights Mike Marsh leads a small group in a Men’s study, and at the same time Cricket Seward leads a small group for women. Both meet at 7pm at North (the men in Room #3 and the women in Room #2).
- Mission Life: Puerto Rico Team– A group of Northgaters are scheduled to leave for Puerto Rico on January 22ndfor a week of mission work. Please pray for Rosalina, Angelo, Rich, Dan, Brian, Chip, Sierra and Michelle as they finish up their planning and go down to help with reconstruction made necessary by the damage done when hurricane Maria swept through in September of 2017. If you want to pray with them before they leave, please come to Northgate at 4:45am on the 22nd.
- Community Life: Women’s Night of Worship– Ladies – mark the date of January 30thon your calendars. This will be the next women’s night of worship at Northgate (North Campus).
You Can Count on This – Luke 2:52 – And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man. (Read Luke 2:41-52)
One of the mysteries of the Christian faith is how Jesus can be both fully human and fully divine. (There’s a good article on this topic located here: https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/how-can-jesus-be-god-and-man). This verse points us to this fact by noting that Jesus “grew in wisdom and stature”. It’s amazing to think that the Son of God who was present at and involved in creation (Colossians 1:15-17) needed to “grow” in anything! But apparently that was necessary as to his human nature. Those are two things each of us should be growing in as well: growing in wisdom by studying scripture, listening to God, engaging with other Christians and applying what we learn. Growing in stature (respect of others) by living well-ordered lives, taking care of our families, being good citizens and neighbors and following God as He leads us. Some good questions for us to ask ourselves periodically are, “What am I doing to grow in wisdom? Am I doing anything that is damaging to my stature? Can I do what I’m doing in full confidence that God looks upon me with favor? Am I gaining the trust and respect of others through my behavior and my words? There’s always going to be room for growth, but there also needs to be evidence of growth.
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.