I’ve been praying about a certain thing, (not important to give details here) and about how to respond to it. I had a choice of actions I could take, and none would necessarily be wrong, but I wanted to do what was best. And then this morning as I was reading my devotional I was directed to this verse: 2 Samuel 5:23 – “so David inquired of the LORD, and he answered, “Do not go straight up, but circle around behind them and attack them in front of the poplar trees.”
David was being told by the Lord not to confront the Philistine army head on, but to take a more indirect route. That counsel seemed to fit my situation exactly, since one of my choices in this matter I was praying about was to be more indirect than direct. That also fit with what I felt the Spirit was saying to me during the week. Scripture just seemed to confirm it.
Now all this might be a little confusing since I’m not giving more details, but my big point is this: God delivers. God wants to guide us and lead us and he does through his Spirit and through his scriptures. Our part is to seek his guidance and to trust that he will provide it, to be open to it and to listen to it. Maybe it would help to make these words from Psalm 25 our prayer: Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long (verses 4 & 5).
- Snow Camp– Snow Camp at Circle C Ranch is coming up next weekend. This is a great weekend for youth and if you’re interested in knowing more about it please contact Pastor Daniel at email@example.com. He can help you with any questions you might have.
- MOPS Volunteers Needed– Evening MOPS has an opportunity for those who would be willing to hold babies. The next meeting is February 12th and each 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month, from 6:30-8pm. Our provision of childcare at these meetings is a great way to let moms grow to know Jesus. Please contact Traci@northgatefmc.comfor more information.
- Digging Deeper– TheMonday nightdiscipleship group meetsat 6:30pm(North campus; Room #3). We are studying the books of 1st, 2nd, and 3rdJohn. These are short letters found near the end of the Bible, which are packed with important messages about our relationship with God. Everyone is welcome to attend this group. If you’d like to be able to get the book that we’ll be using, it is in the Christ-Centered Expositionseries (1, 2, 3 John) and is available at Amazon and Christianbook.com.
- Prime Timers– The Prime Timers are meeting on Thursday, February 14that noon. This is a pot luck luncheon primarily attended by people over the age of 55, but open to all. After the meal there is usually a short talk by a staff member or invited member of the community. If you are available and interested in coming, all you have to do is show up!
- Food/Exploration/Dialogue– On Thursday, February 21st, the next FED Talk will be held at Arbor House at 6pm. The topic to be discussed is “The LGBTQ Community and the Church” and the presenter will be Doug Cullum, Vice President and Dean at Northeastern Seminary. Come and enjoy a light meal and a meaningful conversation on a contemporary topic.
- Mission Support Team– Did you know that Northgate has an active Missions Planning Team that meets monthly to discuss how we are involved in local and international missions, and to pray and plan for the future? The next meeting is Sunday, February 24th, at about 12:15pm in Meeting Room #3 at the North Campus. Everyone with an interest in missions is welcome to attend. And if you can’t make the meeting but would like to be a “Mission Support” person, there’s a place for you also. We need people to be in regular prayer about our mission work. If you are interested in being part of prayer team, contact our Mission Team Leader, Angelo Dispenza at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Community Life: Wednesday Prayer Groups– You are invited to join with others to pray for our church and community on Wednesdays at 1 and 6 p.m.The 1 p.m. Prayer Group prays for one hour in Meeting Room 3 at North Campus. The 6 p.m. Prayer Group meets at North Campus also. If weather allows, this group often goes on a prayer walk as well. We’d love to include you in either of these prayer opportunities! And please remember to come down front after our worship services if you’d like to have prayer with someone.
- Membership Classes Coming Up– The next series of Membership classes begin on Sunday March 3rdat 9:30am. The class meets for three consecutive weeks, and if you are interested in learning more about Northgate, or in becoming a member, please plan to attend. You can sign up at the Information Desk. For more information just contact one of the pastors.
- “IF” Video Conference– OnMarch 29thand 30ththe women of our church are invited to attend a video conference called “IF”. The name of the conference was inspired by the thought, “IF God is real, then what…” More information about this conference will be coming out soon, but if you want to talk with someone about it, contact Pastor Marsha at email@example.com
- Runners… Want to Join Together for a Good Cause?– I like to run – maybe you do too. I’m organizing a team to run for a good cause – support of our local crisis pregnancy center, All Babies Cherished. The run is scheduled for Saturday, June 8th, so there’s plenty of time to get ready for it! If you’d like to help me form a team of runners, please let me know – you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You Can Count on This – Luke 4:4 – Jesus answered, “It is written…” Luke 4:8 – Jesus answered, “It is written…” Luke 4:12 – Jesus answered, “It is said…” (Read Luke 4:1-13)
As Jesus begins his public ministry one of the first things he needs to do is confront the temptations he will experience as a human being – things that could cause a human to divert from the course God has set for him. This takes place when Jesus is alone in the wilderness and Satan attempts to sabotage Jesus’ mission. There’s so much to say about this, but notice how Jesus shuts Satan down: every time Satan attacks, Jesus responds with a word from Scripture. You know that I encourage all of us to be reading scripture, and this passage affirms that God’s word is our best defense against the evil strategies of Satan. Keep reading!
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.