- New Mission Statement – For many years we have used “Bring and Build” as our mission statement, and it has served us well. But over the past year or so we (our Staff and the Administrative Team) have discussed adding a third element to this: “Send.” While that has always been implied, we wanted to make it more explicit. This month our Administrative Team formally approved adapting our mission statement to “Bring people to Jesus Christ, build them up in that relationship and send them out to share His love.” That sending may be to another country on a short-term mission trip, or it may be to your neighbor next door, but the point is that we are brought to Jesus and built up in our relationship with him in order to share his love with others. We’ve been doing that well… let’s keep on!
- Mitch and Lynn Sue Pierce – Missionaries to Northern Europe – In my listing of the people from Northgate who are going on short term mission trips this year, or who have missionary family members serving in various spots around the world, I failed to mention Mitch and Lynn Sue! They are Northgate people (Mitch previously served as the Senior Pastor at Northgate) and are also Free Methodist missionaries. As the European Regional Overseers they are responsible for directing the mission work happening in 5 countries in northern Europe. Please keep them in prayer as they are preparing for a trip to the Ukraine in March or April of this year to meet with the missionaries and churches there, and as they seek to increase the spread of the gospel in Europe.
Let’s also celebrate those who are doing mission work right here in our backyard. Like those who have stepped out to start new small group studies, and those who are helping their neighbors and caring for others. I’ve heard many stories about this type of mission work this week, and I am so humbled to be among a group of people who get what it means to serve Jesus, both locally and globally. Blessings to you all!
And please keep in prayer those family members of Northgate people who are serving in missions. I am thinking of Jay and Ashley Shetler (China), Bridgette Britton (South Korea) and Greg and Lois Lewis (Philippines). Who am I missing? Please let me know! Thanks!
And if you want to read about what’s happening denominationally in missions, you can check out this link: http://fmcusa.org/fmmissions/
- Do You Know of a Teen Mom Who Could Use Some Support? – If you do, please contact Pastor Gloria (Gloria@northgatefmc.com). She’d love to talk with you about our Teen MOPS program that is ready to go. A leadership team has been meeting and preparing to minister to young people who find themselves in this situation, and all we need now are the moms. It can be a long and hard road for a young mom to navigate in life, and we’d like to help, so please keep this program, the leaders and the moms in prayer. Thank you.
- Women’s Bible Studies
- “The Case for Christ” study meets in Meeting Room 2 at North on Wednesday nights at 7pm with Cricket Johnson leading (email@example.com)
- The “Uninvited” study meets on Tuesdays at 6:30pm (Meeting Room 2 at North). For more information on that contact Melissa Vanelli at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monday Night Discipleship Group – The Monday night Digging Deeper group will be starting up on February 5th at 6:30pm in Meeting Room 3 at North. We’ll be engaging in a study of the book of Acts, which is exciting to me as it’s a study of how God was at work in the early church – a time of explosive growth for the kingdom of God! You are welcome to join us any/every week. Copies of the schedule are available at the Information Desk or by writing me at email@example.com
- Women of the Word – A new 8-week online Women’s Bible Study began Monday, January 15th., but you can still join in. The topic is “Made for Community” and will take members on an adventure through both the Old and New Testaments. To sign up contact Patti Chadwick at firstname.lastname@example.org or 585-297-3009 or sign up on the Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/50870109
- Men’s Meetings
- Resolution For Men – 8am every other Saturday at South Campus (notice the change in location while Youth Basketball is going on). Contact Dan at Daniel@northgatefmc.com for more information.
- The Wednesday Night Men’s Group led by Mike Marsh meets at 7:00pm at the North Campus in Meeting Room 3.
- FREE – “FREE” stands for Fellowship of Revolutionaries Empowering the Enslaved. This is a student led group working for abolition of modern day slavery. They are planning to hold a one day conference on Modern Day Slavery at Roberts on Mar ch 17. Kevin Austin (leader of the Free Methodist Set Free Movement) will be a guest speaker at the conference. We are also working to involve the nursing and criminal justice programs. Free Methodists have always been dedicated to abolishing the evil of slavery, which still exists. To learn more, consider attending this event.
- Habitat for Humanity – Do you know someone who would love to own their own home, but they don’t think they can afford it? Is that you? If so, I would encourage you to contact our local Habitat for Humanity office. They are seeking homeowners for several projects currently underway. You can find out more at http://www.geneseehabitat.com
- Save the Date – Please save the date of April 22nd (12:30pm) for our church’s annual meeting, “The Summit.” We’ve enjoyed these times so much the last few years and we’re aiming to make this year’s Summit a wonderful experience as well. Everyone is welcome… you do not have to be a member!
You Can Count on This – Matthew 18:3 – And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. (Read Matthew 18:1-11)
No real power. No “standing” in society. Nothing for which they could pat their own back or demand honor. That was the situation of the child in New Testament times. And so Jesus says we must be like them: not showing off our power, or expecting to be treated as VIPs, or gloating about how great we are. If we want to see heaven, humility is the path we must walk.
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.