- Rosalina Is Looking for Some Prayer Partners – Rosalina, a very active member of our church, is looking for some help, specifically in the area of prayer. Rosalina hosts a Wednesday evening prayer group at 6pm at North, and also a Prayer Shawl ministry on the second Saturday morning of each month at 10am at North. Sometimes, especially on Wednesday, she prays alone, and we’d like to encourage some folks to join her! If you’d like more information on these two prayer opportunities, please contact Pastor Marsha at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bible Quizzing at Northgate – On Saturday March 3rd Northgate is hosting a Free Methodist Quizzing program. Quizzing is about learning the Bible, memorizing key verses and passages and then engaging in a fast-paced and often very tense Quiz competition, with seat buzzers, judges and coaches, and trophies handed out when it’s all over. If you’ve never seen a Quiz meet, or are interested in learning more about FM Quizzing, just stop in at some point during the day – it’s really a fun experience!
- Prime Timers – Prime Timers is a monthly luncheon for people of Northgate and their friends, and is geared to those 55 years old and over. I always enjoy saying “hi” to people and sampling the potluck offerings (especially the desserts!) If you’d like to join in, you are very welcome to. The next meeting of Prime Timers will be March 8th (2nd Thursday) at Noon at North in the Café.
- BASE Game Night – Next Gen Director Daniel is arranging a game night for Saturday, March 16th at the South Campus. This game night will run from 4pm to Midnight and is primarily for 4th graders through High Schoolers, but parents are welcome to stick around and play some games as well. If you’d like more information about this, contact Daniel at email@example.com
- Care Team Dinner Meeting – The Care Team is holding a dinner meeting on Wednesday, February 28 at 5:15pm in Meeting Room 1 at North. Whether you are already a member, or just want to find out what the Care Team is about, feel free to come, et and fellowship with us. For more information you can contact Karen at Karenvw@aol.com
- Sponsor a Child from Gahanda – We will be offering everyone an opportunity to sponsor a child from our Connected Communities partner village in Gahanda, Rwanda. About 100 Northgate people have already done so, but it may be that you missed the last opportunity or weren’t prepared to do it the last time it was offered, and if so, here’s your chance – March 3/4 and 17/18! Sponsorship is $30/month and that goes a long way to making the life of the children of Gahanda a lot richer. To find our more about sponsorship you can check out this website; http://www.childcareministries.org
- Last Week of Youth Basketball – This Saturday is the last week of Youth Basketball. If you have never observed this really cool program I encourage you to stop down at the South Campus Saturday morning and see some real exciting basketball action! And if you and your children have enjoyed the program, please thank Nate and Julie Varland for providing 19 years (!) of leadership to it. Thanks Nate and Julie!
- Arbor House Lenten Devotional – The Arbor House team has put together a Lenten devotional that is available at the Information Desk at North and South. Lent began February 14th, but it’s not too late to use the devotional to help you prepare for Easter, so be sure to pick one up. And thanks to the Arbor House people for putting this together for everyone!
- Lutheran School Open House – St. Paul’s Lutheran School serves students from 3 years old up through grade 5. Several Northgate families have their children enrolled, and have really appreciated the education their children have received. If you’d like to learn more about the school they are holding an open house on March 5th at 9:30 am (31 Washington Avenue, Batavia).
- Save the Date – Please save the date of April 22nd (12:30pm) for our church’s annual meeting, “The Summit.” We’ve enjoyed these times so much the last few years and we’re aiming to make this year’s Summit a wonderful experience as well. Everyone is welcome… you do not have to be a member!
You Can Count on This – Matthew 19:21 – Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” – (Read Matthew 19:16-30)
Careful! If we aren’t careful when we read this we might think Jesus is saying that by being generous we can make it into heaven. Not so! What I think Jesus is saying is that we need to unencumber ourselves of anything that would keep us from following him, and then, free from those encumbrances, we are to follow him (attach ourselves to him, embrace him, give our lives over to his safekeeping…) and that in that relationship we will obtain heaven, and because we are living for him we are going to receive the treasure of heaven and all that heaven is! It’s not our generosity that saves us; it’s our relationship with Jesus, which will cause us to become generous, and rich in so many ways. So the invitation from Jesus is… “Come, follow me!”
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.