- This Changes Everything (Baptism Weekend) – In just a couple of weeks, the weekend of February 24th/25th, we will be celebrating the sacrament of baptism at North. If you’ve never been baptized, or you have a child you would like to dedicate or baptize, please speak to one of the pastors, or go to our Northgate App and send us a note, or call the office at 343-4011.
- Prime Timers – Prime Timers is a monthly luncheon for people of Northgate and their friends, and is geared to those 55 years old and over. I always enjoy saying “hi” to people and sampling the potluck offerings (especially the desserts!) If you’d like to join in, you are very welcome to. The next meeting of Prime Timers will be March 8th (2nd Thursday) at Noon at North in the Café.
- Rosalina Is Looking for Some Prayer Partners – Rosalina, a very active member of our church, is looking for some help, specifically in the area of prayer. Rosalina hosts a Wednesday evening prayer group at 6pm at North, and also a Prayer Shawl ministry on the second Saturday of each month at 10am at North. Sometimes, especially on Wednesday, she prays alone, and we’d like to encourage some folks to join her! If you’d like more information on these two prayer opportunities, please contact Pastor Marsha at email@example.com
- Family Skate A Great Success! – The Family Skate sponsored by our BASE program last Sunday was a great success. About 50 people came out to the rink for a night of skating, hockey, table games, food, fun and fellowship. Thanks Daniel, for making this happen!
- BASE Game Night – Next Gen Director Daniel is arranging a game night for Saturday, March 16th at the South Campus. This game night will run from 4pm to Midnight and is primarily for 4th graders through High Schoolers, but parents are welcome to stick around and play some games as well. If you’d like more information about this, contact Daniel at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arbor House Lenten Devotional – The Arbor House team is putting together a Lenten devotional, which will be available at the Information Desk at North this weekend. Lent began Wednesday, February 14th, so if you want to use the devotional to help you prepare for Easter, be sure to pick one up.
And thanks to the Arbor House people for putting this together for everyone!
- Lutheran School Open House – There will be a table in the lobby again this weekend, with information about St. Paul’s Lutheran School. The school serves students from 3 years old up through grade 5. Several Northgate families have their children enrolled, and if you’d like more information about the school please stop by the table. Also, there is an open house at the school on March 5th at 9:30 am (31 Washington Avenue, Batavia).
- Bible Quizzing at Northgate – On Saturday March 3rd both of our buildings will be fully engaged with a large group of young people and adults who are involved in the Free Methodist Quizzing program. Quizzing is about learning the Bible, memorizing key verses and passages and then engaging in a fast-paced and often very tense Quiz competition, with seat buzzers, judges and coaches, and trophies handed out when it’s all over. If you’ve never seen a Quiz meet, or are interested in learning more about FM Quizzing, just stop in at some point during the day. You’ll be able to watch a match and see what it’s all about. I’d love to see our own Quiz program grow – it’s really a wonderful experience for those who participate and helps to raise up church leaders of the future.
- Save the Date – Please save the date of April 22nd (12:30pm) for our church’s annual meeting, “The Summit.” We’ve enjoyed these times so much the last few years and we’re aiming to make this year’s Summit a wonderful experience as well. Everyone is welcome… you do not have to be a member!
- Pray for Jordyne and 25 More – Jordyne Amo, a member of The Ridge and our Worship Team is heading to El Salvador today (Thursday) with 25 others as part of Young Lives mission trip. They are specifically asking for prayer in these areas:
- Pray for safe travel – airplanes, buses, boats, trucks and walking!
- Pray for barriers to be removed – specifically language barriers
- Pray for kids to see God’s Kingdom and His love for all of us
- Pray for health on the trip. As we travel so far away and eat different foods the potential for sickness increases. Please pray for our physical health and our bodies responding to traveling to El Salvador.
- Pray for our time in worship and Bible Studies together. As we serve, pray that we don’t miss Jesus!
- Pray for safety as we tear down a home and remove various building materials
You Can Count on This – Matthew 19:14 – Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” (Read Matthew 19:1-15)
I don’t think we always appreciate how Jesus disrupted the status quo of 1st century society, and began a sea change in how people were looked at and valued. Just before the verse about the children, Jesus is teaching about divorce and essentially says divorce shouldn’t happen unless there is infidelity. He says this to a group of men who lived in a culture that said men could divorce their wives for any reason, or for no reason. And then he rebukes his followers for treating children harshly. He said this in a society that gave children no real value or respect. Christianity began a cultural revolution that is easily forgotten and overlooked today. Be that as it may, the important thing is that we seek to live out the values of Jesus in our relationships with others. That could cause a new revolution in our culture!
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.