February 14, 2019
- Skate and Shoot– This coming Monday Northgaters of all ages are invited to Falletti’s Ice Rink on Evans Street in Batavia from 10-11:30am to ice skate and, if desired, take a shot at getting a puck past a goalie.(Please bring your own hockey stick.) There is no cost for this event so it’s a great opportunity to invite a friend or two to come along! For more information you can contact Pastor Daniel at email@example.com.
- Digging Deeper– TheMonday nightdiscipleship group meetsat 6:30pm(North campus; Room #3). We are studying the books of 1st, 2nd, and 3rdJohn. These are short letters found near the end of the Bible, which are packed with important messages about our relationship with God. Everyone is welcome to attend this group. If you’d like to be able to get the book that we’ll be using, it is in the Christ-Centered Expositionseries (1, 2, 3 John) and is available at Amazon and Christianbook.com.
- Food/Exploration/Dialogue– On Thursday, February 21st, the next FED Talk will be held at Arbor House at 6pm. The topic to be discussed is “The LGBTQ Community and the Church” and the presenter will be Doug Cullum, Vice President and Dean at Northeastern Seminary. Come and enjoy a light meal and a meaningful conversation on a contemporary topic.
- Mission Support Team– Did you know that Northgate has an active Missions Planning Team that meets monthly to discuss how we are involved in local and international missions, and to pray and plan for the future? The next meeting is Sunday, February 24th, at about 12:15pm in Meeting Room #3 at the North Campus. Everyone with an interest in missions is welcome to attend. And if you can’t make the meeting but would like to be a “Mission Support” person, there’s a place for you also. We need people to be in regular prayer about our mission work. If you are interested in being part of prayer team, contact our Mission Team Leader, Angelo Dispenza at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Community Life: Wednesday Prayer Groups– You are invited to join with others to pray for our church and community on Wednesdays at 1 and 6 p.m.The 1 p.m. Prayer Group prays for one hour in Meeting Room 3 at North Campus. The 6 p.m. Prayer Group meets at North Campus also. If weather allows, this group often goes on a prayer walk as well. We’d love to include you in either of these prayer opportunities! And please remember to come down front after our worship services if you’d like to have prayer with someone.
- Women’s Night of Worship– A night of worship for the women of Northgate and their friends is scheduled for February 27that 7pm. Come join together for a wonderful evening singing worship songs together to the praise of God!
- Membership Classes Coming Up– The next series of Membership classes begin on Sunday March 3rdat 9:30am. The class meets for three consecutive weeks, and if you are interested in learning more about Northgate, or in becoming a member, please plan to attend. You can sign up at the Information Desk. For more information just contact one of the pastors.
- Midweek On-line Book Study– Pastor Marsha is beginning an on-line book/Bible study on Wednesday, March 6that noon. The group will be using a book by Philip Yancey and Brenda Quinn called Meet the Bible, which offers a great way to get to know the Bible. This group will meet by way of “Zoom” which is a free download, so it’s a study that might work for you if you (or someone you know) are homebound or on a work break. For more information contact Pastor Marsha at email@example.com.
- “IF” Video Conference– OnMarch 29thand 30thour women are invited to attend a video conference called “IF”. The name of the conference was inspired by the thought, “IF God is real, then what…” More information about this conference will be coming out soon, but if you want to talk with someone about it, contact Pastor Marsha at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Runners… Want to Join Together for a Good Cause?– I’m organizing a team to run in support of our local crisis pregnancy center, All Babies Cherished. It’s scheduled for Saturday, June 8th, so there’s plenty of time to get ready for it! If you’d like to help me form a team of runners, please let me know – you can reach me at email@example.com.
You Can Count on This – Luke 4:22 – “All spoke well of him and were amazed…” Luke 4:28 – “All the people… were furious…” (Read Luke 4:14-30)
Let’s be honest… people can be fickle. They’re in love with something (or someone) one day and tired of it (or them) a short time later. They’re attracted to a rising star, but just as quick to turn on them when they feel let down. It’s part of the sinful human nature. Jesus encountered it at the start of his ministry. So what do we take from this? For one thing, this: we have to know who we are, and what we stand for, and be solid in that. We need to be wary of mercurial crowds, and we need to not give up who we are or what we believe in any effort to please people. All that matters is that we stay faithful to who God has made us to be and to do (Galatians 1:10).
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.