- Vintage Christmas is Here! – Our Vintage Christmas event is tomorrow night Friday, December 6 from 6-8pm. This is our celebration heading into Advent and Christmas and we hold it in our “backyard” at the pavilion. There will be food, a living nativity, a bonfire, music, activities for the kids, the lighting of a Christmas tree and more. This is a great event to invite friends to – we’re looking forward to a wonderful night as we get ready to celebrate the birth of Jesus!
- Great Day of Giving This Weekend – We say this every year, but only because it’s always true. You are a generous, caring and self-less church! That’s seen in so many ways throughout the year, but really shows up when we invite our church to respond to the Great Day of Giving. This offering goes to world missions, local human services agencies and capital projects here at Northgate. The offering to the GDofG this year is currently at $30,648.25! Thank you so much!
- In addition to this giving, our church has sponsored about 140 children from the Salvation Army Angel Tree and we have raised over $1400 which will go to the Virtual Christmas Box program run by our Free Methodist missionaries in Bulgaria. Again, thank you!
- Polar Plunge! – Keep Pastor Daniel and Mark Logan, our Director of Operations in your prayers as they participate in the Polar Plunge at Woodlawn Beach in Buffalo this Saturday at 2pm! The Polar Plunge benefits Special Olympics. It’s not too late to join Daniel and Mark – they’d love to expand their team or to have you sponsor them and bless the Special Olympics.
- Opportunity to Bless Our Missionaries and Their Work in Hungary – Christianity in Europe is in severe decline, and our missionaries in Hungary are working to reverse that trend. Unfortunately, their financial support has decreased this year and they are struggling to meet their needs. A Free Methodist Church in Ohio has offered to match contributions made to the Hungary mission team up to $7500. If you’d like to bless this effort you can make your donation online at https://give.fmcusa.org/hungary.
- Turner’s Remembrance Service – Pastor Marsha will be speaking at Turner’s Remembrance Service this year. The service is for anyone who has lost a loved one at any time – the loss doesn’t have to have come in this past year. Some people attend every year because this service is so meaningful to them. The service takes place on Wednesday, December 11 at 7pm at our North Campus.
- Join Pastor Marsha’s Small Group Leader Team! – Pastor Marsha is looking to recruit and prepare some new small group leaders. If you’re interested in leading or helping to lead a small group, please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Leading/helping lead a group is great way to grow in faith in and in relationship with other followers of Jesus.
- Kids’ Movie Night/Parents’ Night Out – Children in grades K through 4 (and their potty-trained younger siblings) are invited to come to North on Saturday, December 14 at 5:30pm for a movie night. While the children enjoy a movie and snacks, their parents can take some time for themselves! Dinner out? Some Christmas shopping? Parents, please be sure to pick your children up by 7:30pm. We’d appreciate it!
- Salvation Army Christmas Help – If you’d like to help the Salvation Army serve others this Christmas they are seeking: stocking stuffers, crayons, coloring books, children’s card games and small stuffed animals. Leave items at our Salvation Army box in the entryway or deliver directly to the Salvation Army offices.
- Christmas Eve Services – In case you’re wondering, or just want to get it on your calendar now, here are the times/locations of our Christmas Eve services this year: There will be a 4pm Candlelight service at Arbor House(350 Bank St.); our 5pm Children’s service at North; and the 7 and 11pm Candlelight/Communion services at North. Of course all of these take place on December 24. But you knew that!
- Thinking about January – Are you ready for it to be January, 2020? I’m not – not yet. But since I mention it there’s an event you might like to put on your calendar. It’s a Women’s Worship Night, and it’s going to be held on Friday, January 17 from 6:30-8:30. Childcare for Infants, Toddlers and Preschoolers will be provided for this night as well.
You Can Count on This – Luke 22:33 – But he replied, “Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death.” (Read Luke 22:1-38)
It’s easy to dismiss what Peter says to Jesus here, since we know that shortly after he would deny knowing Jesus three times. But we really shouldn’t be so hard on him. I think he was quite sincere when he spoke those words. I think he just didn’t realize how much fear would derail him when he was face to face with it. Ultimately Peter would “go with (Jesus) to prison and to death.” Why? Because the power of seeing the resurrected Jesus would override any fear he encountered in standing up for him. Let the resurrected Jesus encourage you today.
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.