- Kids’ Movie Night/Parents’ Night Out – Children in grades K through 4 (and their potty-trained younger siblings) are invited to come to North this Saturday, December 14 at 5:30pm for a movie night. While the children enjoy a movie and snacks, their parents can take some time for themselves! Dinner out? Some Christmas shopping? Parents, please be sure to pick your children up by 7:30pm. We’d appreciate it!
- Vintage Christmas Was Spectacular! – Thank you to everyone who helped make this year’s Vintage Christmas such a wonderful night! There are way too many people to name here, but it includes everyone from cooks to animal keepers, live nativity actors to angels and more. We’re already looking forward to next year’s celebration of the Christmas season!
- Great Day of Giving Report – We say this every year, but only because it’s always true. You are a generous, caring and self-less church! That’s seen in so many ways throughout the year, but really shows up when we invite our church to respond to the Great Day of Giving. This offering goes to world missions, local human services agencies and capital projects here at Northgate. The offering to the GDofG this year is currently at $30,648.25 (more has come in to be added to this!) Thank you so much!
- In addition to this giving, we have raised over $1400 ($1600!) which will go to the Virtual Christmas Box program run by our Free Methodist missionaries in Bulgaria. And all 175 Angel Tree tags were claimed as well! Again, thank you!
- The ARC Has Positions Available – As a church we are happy to support the good work of the ARC of Genesee Orleans. Groups use our building each week and it’s a joy to interact with the clients and staff. The ARC currently has a number of positions open – full-time, part-time and relief positions. If you are interested in exploring work at the ARC you can call 343-1123 for more information.
- Opportunity to Bless Our Missionaries and Their Work in Hungary – Christianity in Europe is in severe decline, and our missionaries in Hungary are working to reverse that trend. Unfortunately, their financial support has decreased this year and they are struggling to meet their needs. A Free Methodist Church in Ohio has offered to match contributions made to the Hungary mission team up to $7500. If you’d like to bless this effort you can make your donation online at https://give.fmcusa.org/hungary.
- Snow Camp is Coming Up Soon – Snow Camp is being held at Hickory Hill Camp this year and takes place January 17-19. We’re anticipating a large group, and if you’d like to know more about this weekend contact Pastor Daniel at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join Pastor Marsha’s Small Group Leader Team! – Pastor Marsha is looking to recruit and prepare some new small group leaders. If you’re interested in leading or helping to lead a small group, please contact her at email@example.com. Leading/helping lead a group is great way to grow in faith in and in relationship with other followers of Jesus.
- Salvation Army Christmas Help – If you’d like to help the Salvation Army serve others this Christmas they are seeking: stocking stuffers, crayons, coloring books, children’s card games and small stuffed animals. Leave items at our Salvation Army box in the entryway or deliver directly to the Salvation Army offices.
- Christmas Eve Services – In case you’re wondering, or just want to get it on your calendar now, here are the times/locations of our Christmas Eve services this year: There will be a 4pm Candlelight service at Arbor House(350 Bank St.); our 5pm Children’s service at North; and the 7 and 11pm Candlelight/Communion services at North. Of course all of these take place on December 24. But you knew that!
- Thinking about January – Are you ready for it to be January, 2020? I’m not – not yet. But since I mention it there’s an event you might like to put on your calendar. It’s a Women’s Worship Night, and it’s going to be held on Friday, January 17 from 6:30-8:30. Childcare for Infants, Toddlers and Preschoolers will be provided for this night as well.
You Can Count on This – Luke 22:67 – “If you are the Messiah,” they said, “tell us.” Jesus answered, “If I tell you, you will not believe me.” (Read Luke 22:39-71)
At some point it comes down to this. Will we believe in Jesus based on the evidence we have, or will we not? Jesus had been healing, preaching, doing the miraculous and in numerous ways disclosing that he was indeed the Messiah they had been waiting for. Now they ask him directly if he is and he puts his finger on the problem. Even if he says, “Yes”, they’re not going to believe him. And indeed they don’t. It seems they had already formed the answer in their minds before asking the question – usually a poor way to go about seeking information. God has made Himself known to us by coming to us in the flesh, in Jesus, and if we will be open to knowing Him, I believe He will make Himself known. I stand on His promise in Jeremiah 29:13 – “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” If you don’t know Jesus, this Christmas season is a perfect time to seek Him. How do you do that? Reading the Bible, praying (even if you’re not sure He’s listening; He is!), attending worship services, listening to the songs that celebrate His coming, talking to others who know Him. I pray that if you don’t know Jesus, yet, that this will be the year you are introduced! God bless.
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.