- MOPS Gets Started Again in September– Our MOPS program will be starting up again on September 25th, and the leaders are already meeting and getting ready for another great year. This year’s theme is “Find Your Fire” based on Romans 12:11-13. MOPS is one of the terrific things that happens at Northgate and if you want to be part of the Team, or if you want information on how to be involved as a Mom, you can talk to Pastor Gloria (email@example.com) or Pastor Marsha (firstname.lastname@example.org) about that.
- Global Leadership Summit– After new events that transpired this past weekend, we decided not to participate in this year’s GLS put on by the Willow Creek Association. This decision came after much discussion and consultation with our Superintendent Pam Braman. The explanation would take much longer to give than would fit in this space, and may only be of interest to a small part of our congregation, so I’m not going to try to do all that here, but if you’d like to know more about this, please contact me… I’d be happy to discuss it with you.
- Coffee Talk on Addictions– Addictions of various kinds cause havoc in many families, including families here at Northgate. If you’d like to learn more about addictions, City Church is holding a “Coffee Talk” meeting on Saturday, August 18thfrom 10-11:30am. More information is available at 343-6895. Our Northgate pastors are also available to talk with you at any time, and please remember that we have a wonderful group of people who run our Celebrate Recovery program and you can join them on Thursday nights at 6:30pm (North).
- Congratulations Max!– I want to send out a note of praise to Max Kresock, a young man who often drums on our worship team. For the past couple of years Max has had the wonderful experience of drumming for Robin Mark, one of the performers at Kingdom Bound. We are blessed to have such fine young men and women, who are using their talents to serve the Lord here, and elsewhere. We’re proud of you Max!
- Puerto Rico Missions– Angelo Dispenza, our Missions Team Leader, is assembling a group of people who would be interested in going to Puerto Rico to help replace roofs that were damaged in the hurricane. If you would be interested in being part of that team, or if you’d like to help them raise the funds needed for the trip and for the work, you can contact Angelo for more information. Reach him at email@example.com.
- Ephaste Got His Visa!– Thank you for praying for Ephaste – our Rwandan International Childcare Ministries (ICCM) director! He was awarded a visa allowing him to come visit us in September. He’ll be here the week of September 10th-16th. Please keep him in prayer for his health as well – we learned this week that he has come down with malaria. (Also – our BASE Camp kids collected $236 last week that will be going to our work in Gahanda. Thanks kids!)
- Salvation Army Food Basket– Do you know that we have a basket in our entryway?Have you ever wondered what that basket is for? It’s a place to drop off food that is then taken to the Salvation Army to help them stock their food pantry. Over 100 people make use of that food pantry and we’re glad to assist with their good work. You can always drop off a bag of groceries at that basket in the entrywayand we’ll see that they get to the Salvation Army. Thank you for helping out people in our community going through a hard time!
- Bible Quizzing Returns– Pastor Marsha and Pastor Dan are bringing Quizzing back full-force for the 2018-19 school year and all 6th-12thgraders are invited to be part of it. We’ll study the second half of Luke and the whole book of Jonah. Practices will be Sundays after the second service, food included, and rides home can be provided, if needed. An informational meeting will be held the last Sunday of August (8/26) from 12:15 to 1:30pm. For more information you can email firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com.
- Hunter Safety Course–Northgate is hosting a Hunter Safety Course August 28th& 30th, from 5-9pm. We began making this announcement just last week, and the course is already full! If you were hoping to take it but didn’t get signed up, contact Mark Logan (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information about the potential of another course or when another course might be offered.
- Serving…– Thank you to the men who stepped up last week to meet a need for “Friendly Visitors” to serve homebound veterans! And thank you to the dozen or so who filled out “I Want to Serve” cards! That’s terrific! If you’re looking for another way to serve, the Red Cross is having a blood drive at our South Campus on August 23rdfrom 2-7pm.
You Can Count on This – Mark 6:8 – These were his instructions: “Take nothing for the journey except a staff – no bread, no bag, no money in your belts.” (Read Mark 6:1-29)
When Jesus sent his followers out to preach about our need for forgiveness, he gave them two things: a partner and his authority. They were to be dependent on each other and on him; they weren’t to take anything else. Fortunately God does not call each of us to do the same today – we’re allowed to take food and money when we reach out to others to tell them about Jesus (some of the best conversations we have with people about Jesus take place over a meal in a restaurant!) but we are still to recognize we are completely dependent on him – any good we might do is because we rely on Jesus.
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.