- “Right Now Media” – Recently we announced that we are offering everyone a chance to try Right Now Media, a Netflix-type service to churches whereby people can gain access to video teaching, Bible studies, children’s programming and similar material, at no cost to you, the individual or family. Instead the church pays one subscription fee for everyone. If you haven’t yet received an email inviting you to sign up for this free service, check your spam folder, or contact the office (343-4011 or email@example.com).
- Senior H.S. Class in the Fall – We are very excited to announce that Dan and Allison Lang will be leading a Senior H.S. group on Sunday mornings this Fall. It will meet at the same time as the Middle School Class group (at 11am). We are still working out the room, though it will be in the Adult Wing. Please pray for Dan and Allison as they prepare (and thank them for their passion for our teens!) and pray for the teens who will be participating.
- Global Leadership Summit – The Summit is coming up fast! It happens next week (8/10 & 11). This is a good opportunity for us to show who we are as a church to leaders in our community and to grow as leaders ourselves. For more information on it, you can visit our website, northgatefmc.com or talk to Pastor John at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Volunteer Opportunities at the Nursing Home – Premier Genesee (formerly the Genesee County Nursing Home) is looking for people who can spend some time with their residents; especially those without family members. If you can spend an hour or so reading, playing cards, making crafts and brightening someone’s day, please call Michelle Wilkin at 344-0584.
- Help the Salvation Army Distribute School Supplies – Help the S.A. provide backpacks to students in need of assistance. A filled backpack is $25 and donations can be made to the Salvation Army (529 East Main Street, Batavia) or you can bring supplies here and we’ll see that they get over to the S.A. A list of the things they need is available at the Information Desk, or call the S.A. at 343-6284.
- Covenant Acres Family Camp 2017 – Rev. Jonathan Bratt will be speaking at Family Camp this year, which runs from August 16th through August 20th. Pastor Chris (one of our Arbor House pastors) is the director of Covenant Acres and he has been working hard with his team to make the camp ready for this summer. Family Camp is an opportunity for the whole family to spend some time together in a beautiful setting, near Pike, NY. For more information on Family Camp, or Covenant Acres, you can go to covenantacres.org
- Polestar Outdoors – This is a Para Church organization, not sponsored by any one church, that seeks to help today’s youth learn about Creation and along the way, meet the Creator. Google “Polestar-Outdoors” if you aren’t familiar with this program, and you’ll see it’s not just hunting, and fishing, but hiking, camping, cycling and other ‘non-team’ type
opportunities. Some area leaders are seeing to start a group locally. If you want to know more, you can attend an informational meeting at Pearce Church, to be held at 5:30 PM in the Cafe’, 4322 Buffalo Road, North Chili on Saturday, August 12th.
- Youth Leaders – As we look ahead to the Fall one of the areas where we could use some help is in the BASE program on Wednesday evenings. Youth Director Sean would love to talk to you if you are interested in investing in the lives of our Middle School and High School Teens. This is a place where you can make a huge difference in someone’s future, so please prayerfully consider it and contact Sean for more information (email@example.com).
- Related to #8 – I recently read an article written by a “millennial” (22-35 year olds). The article discussed reasons why this group is leaving the church (according to one study, 59% have dropped out of church). The author gave 12 reaons, including “Nobody’s listening to us” and “We want to feel valued.” Engaging with our Teens, who will soon be in this age category, is one way of addressing this. (If you want to read the article I mentioned you can find it here: http://faithit.com/12-reasons-millennials-over-church-sam-eaton/
- “Here and Now Festival” – The Here and Now Festival is just a few weeks away, August 25-26, 2017 in Austin Park. Thank you to everyone who has signed up to volunteer. The Northgate tent is all staffed but the festival itself is looking for more volunteers for clean up, safety and the prayer tent. To sign up please see Karen VanWyngaarden, email firstname.lastname@example.org visit the website www.greattabernacle.org.
You Can Count on This – “Matthew 11:4-5 – Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor.. (Read Matthew 11:1-19)
Sounds to me like Jesus has given us a picture of what he came to do, and therefore what we are to be about: bringing healing, hope and help to those who need it, and proclaiming the good news about Jesus in the process. Let’s go!
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.