- Global Leadership Summit– This week we’ll be hosting the Willow Creek Global Leadership Summit. This is a worldwide leadership event and we’re pleased to be able to stream the conference to people here at Northgate. The Summit is Thursday and Friday (8/9 and 8/10) and it’s not too late to register if you’d like to come. You can get more information from the table in the lobby, or contact Pastor John at email@example.com.
- Puerto Rico Missions– Angelo Dispenza, our Missions Team Leader, is assembling a group of people who would be interested in going to Puerto Rico to help replace roofs that were damaged in the hurricane. If you would be interested in being part of that team, or if you’d like to help them raise the funds needed for the trip and for the work, you can contact Angelo for more information. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ephaste Got His Visa!– Thank you for praying for Ephaste – our Rwandan International Childcare Ministries (ICCM) director! He was awarded a visa allowing him to come visit us in September. He’ll be here the week of September 10th-16th. Please keep him in prayer for his health as well – we learned this week that he has come down with malaria. (Also – our BASE Camp kids collected $238 last week that will be going to our work in Gahanda. Thanks kids!)
- Salvation Army Food Basket– Do you know that we have a basket in our entryway?Have you ever wondered what that basket is for? It’s a place to drop off food that is then taken to the Salvation Army to help them stock their food pantry. Over 100 people make use of that food pantry and we’re glad to assist with their good work. You can always drop off a bag of groceries at that basket in the entrywayand we’ll see that they get to the Salvation Army. Thank you for helping out people in our community going through a hard time!
- This Changes Everything– Congratulations to all those who were baptized or dedicated this past weekend. That includes Katie, Evelyn, Sherry, Chet, Steven, Job, Crimson and Lexington, Justin and Maranda. We always enjoy celebrating the difference that knowing Jesus makes in a person’s life, and we’ll be doing that again in October, so if you are interested in making this declaration of your faith in Jesus, or having an infant/child baptized or dedicated, please let one of the pastors know. Thanks!
- Summer Group Life – Many Northgate groups take a break this time of year, but a few are just starting up and/or meeting exclusively for the summer, including: College-Age Northgaters (Sunday am and pm); Single Parenting(Monday pm) and Trim Healthy Mamas(Monday pm). For more information on any of these, email email@example.com.
- Bible Quizzing Returns– Pastor Marsha and Pastor Dan are bringing Quizzing back full-force for the 2018-19 school year and all 6th-12thgraders are invited to be part of it. We’ll study the second half of Luke and the whole book of Jonah. Practices will be Sundays after the second service, food included, and rides home can be provided, if needed. An informational meeting will be held the last Sunday of August (8/26) from 12:15 to 1:30pm. For more information you can email firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com.
- Hunter Safety Course–Northgate is hosting a Hunter Safety Course August 28th& 30th, from 5-9pm. This event is being run in conjunction with Pearce Memorial Church’s Outdoors Group and Perry Free Methodist Church. For more information, you may contact Mark Logan at 585-343-4011 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration must be filled out online at https://register-ed.com/events/view/127252
- Help Needed – Home Visitation Program– If you are looking for a place to serve, consider being part of the Home Visitation Program run by Catholic Charities. This is a free program offered to all socially isolated/independent seniors in Genesee County. There is a need especially for male volunteers who can make a “friendly visit” to some veterans who are on the waiting list. This is a one-hour/week volunteer opportunity, and if you’d like more information contact Linda Chadderon (343-0614) or see the notice on our Adult Wing bulletin board.
- Two Staff Announcements– We want to congratulate Mark & Ruth Logan and Dan & Deanna Calkins. Mark and Ruth welcomed their newest grandchild, Callie, into the world last week, and Deanna gave birth to Elijahthis past Monday (on her due date, no less!). Congratulations to all of you and welcome to the world, Callie and Elijah!
You Can Count on This – Mark 5:19 – Jesus did not let him, but said, “Go home to your own people and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you.” (Read Mark 5:1-43)
Evangelism (telling others the good news about Jesus) should always begin with us telling those closest to us about what has happened to us. That’s not always the easiest thing to do – sometimes it’s easier to speak to non-family. But Jesus encourages us to begin with our “own people”. And we don’t have to complicate it: we are only asked to share that Jesus has had mercy on us, and how that’s changed us.
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.