August 20, 2020
Two Things to Be Aware Of…
30 Days of Fasting and Prayer – You are invited to participate in 30 days of fasting and prayer for ourselves, our families, our church, community, nation and world. From September 1-30 Pastor Marsha and Pastor Vern will provide short prayer guides via email each weekday,, and will host a time to talk about the experience of fasting and to pray together on Wednesdays (Marsha – 12pm; Vern – 7pm). We’ll send out Zoom links for those gatherings to those who sign up.
While we do not approach fasting as a “requirement” we do affirm that fasting can be a powerful way for us to connect more closely with the Lord. And Jesus does say that God rewards fasting (Matthew 6:16-18).
Each participant in this time of prayer and fasting is encouraged to choose the type of fast that will work for them, such as fasting from one meal one or more times per week, fasting from 6am to 3pm (or another range of hours) one or more times per week, fasting from certain foods, etc. While sometimes people fast from other things (television, Facebook, etc.) we’ll encourage fasting from food for this experience.
If you are new to fasting you may want to read the book Revival Starts Here by Dave Clayton. It’s a short, easy to read orientation to fasting. And if you have any questions about this you can email Pastor Marsha or Pastor Vern (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com).
We’ve all been through a lot this year, and we’re still going through it. In addition there are important events coming up in the life of our nation. This is a perfect time to focus ourselves more intently on seeking God’s heart and direction, and I believe fasting and praying together through September will help us do that. If you want to be a part of this, please let us know!
The Children’s Wing is Re-opening – Plans are underway to reopen the Children’s Wing beginning the weekend of September 5/6. Our leaders are conferencing on how to do this safely and still make it a great place for the kids to be.
Ten Things To Do…
- Join a Prayer Summit – In response to our Free Methodist Bishops calling us to prayer, the National Prayer Ministry is hosting a first-ever ONLINE Prayer Summit. Beginning this Sunday and continuing each Sunday through September 27, six weeks of online Summit events will provide specific focus points to unify our prayers. Called “By My Spirit” the summit begins this Sunday, August 23 at 6pm. You can participate live at https://facebook.com/fmcusa or watch later at https://fmcusa.org/prayersummit.
- Read Our Daily Bread – Many of you enjoy the devotionals and daily Bible readings from “Our Daily Bread.” And many of you normally pick them up at the church when you are here. We’ve put out the current Daily Breads on tables in the Adult Wing hallway and in the back hallway so you can get it on your way out of service. And if you’re not yet attending the in-person services you can sign up to get it delivered to your home or delivered by email at https://odb.org/getprint/.
- Volunteer in Our Children’s Ministry – Thank you so much to all of you who have shown up and volunteered to help with cleaning and other tasks, which has allowed us to open our building to services again. Now we need to ask for volunteers in another area: Children’s Ministry. If you’d be willing to serve in this area and help us to open these rooms, we would very much appreciate it. Please contact Leah, our Children’s Ministry Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org to offer your help. And thank you!
- Sign up For Membership, Baptism or Dedication – Things are starting to feel a bit more normal here, and normally in the Fall we’d offer a Membership Class and an opportunity for adult/child/infant baptism or infant dedication. We’re working on getting the Membership Class scheduled and also getting it on our website for those who aren’t ready to come to in-person services yet. It would be very helpful to us to know who is interested in membership, baptism or dedication. Please email the office (email@example.com) or call (343-4011) to let us know what you are interested in!
- Come to a Night of Worship – If you have been missing being able to sing with our praise team mark your calendar for a night of worship under the stars on September 18. This will be an outdoor event and the current guidelines limit attendance to 50 people in any one gathering outdoors, so we will be asking you to register so we can keep track of numbers. More information will be coming in the next few weeks.
- Join a Bible Study on the Book of Zechariah – The Monday night Bible study group will be studying the book of Zechariah beginning on August 24 at 6:30pm. This is a Zoom study, so if you’d like to join in please contact Pastor Vern to get the link. You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Get Support Through Grief Share and Divorce Care – A Grief Share group will begin September 15 from 6 to 7:30 and run for 13 weeks. And Divorce Care will begin on September 19, also from 6-7:30, and run for 13 weeks. If you would like to sign up for one of these, or need more information, please contact Pastor Marsha at email@example.com.
- Join a Study on the Holy Spirit – This ongoing study is held at 7pm on Thursday nights and is led by Pastor Vern and Pastor Marsha. We’re currently reading a book by Jack Deere called Why I Am Still Surprised by the Power of the Spirit. If you’d like to join in you can via Zoom. Contact Pastor Vern or Pastor Marsha (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the link.
- Participate in the New Room Conference – Northgate will be participating in a virtual event called A Night with New Roomon Friday evening, September 25, 2020. It will be a two-hour, live-streamed meeting with God around our collective need, as the Body of Christ, for a great spiritual awakening. We will host a viewing of the event in our North Campus sanctuary, and it can also be watched in your home. Thanks to the generosity of many who support the host organization, Seedbed, it will be a FREE EVENT, but participants must register. Please join us for an inspiring, sobering, and deeply encouraging time together – either in-person or online. Contact Pastor Marsha (email@example.com) to learn more about New Room.
- Attend a Celebrate Recovery Meeting – Pastor Dave leads our CR group and they are now meeting in the building. This group meets on Thursday nights at 6:30 and is for anyone who wants to deal with a “hurt, habit or hang-up.” To get more information contact Pastor Dave at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You Can Count on This – John 14:25-26 – “All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. (Read John 14:14-31)
Do you know “The Advocate”? When I gave my life to Jesus years ago, I knew very little about Him. My only focus then was to know Jesus more and more. But over the years I have come to know The Advocate, the Holy Spirit, much better and I have come to love Him so much more as I’ve gotten to know Him!
The Holy Spirit is the “Third Person of the Trinity” (remember the concept of the Trinity: there is One God in Three Persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit) who is given to each believer in Jesus so that the Presence of God is always with us, personally, to lead, instruct, teach, remind, encourage and comfort us. If you have come to a relationship with Jesus, you have also received the Holy Spirit. And that’s a wonderful thing!
Why not take out your Bible and read these verses about the Holy Spirit:
- John 20:21-22
- Romans 15:13
- 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
- 2 Corinthians 13:14
- 2 Timothy 1:14
As you read in the scriptures pay attention to how often the Spirit and His ministry is referred to, and get to know Him better. I’m sure you will come to love Him more and more as well!
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.