Two Things to Be Aware Of…
We’re Planning For the Re-opening of our Children’s Wing – Plans are underway to reopen the Children’s Wing beginning the weekend of September 5/6. Our leaders are conferencing on how to do this safely and still make it a great place for the kids to be. Stay tuned for more information on this in the coming weeks.
Check Periodically for Northgate Church Updates – We are no longer doing the updates every week on Tuesday and Thursday. The views have diminished on those and there hasn’t been as great a need to do updates twice a week. So to stay updated now please visit the Northgate Facebook page periodically or go to northgatefmc.com/news/ to check for updates. And of course, we’ll continue to post updated news/information about the church in this Top Ten. Thank you!
Ten Things To Do…
- Volunteer in Our Children’s Ministry – Thank you so much to all of you who have shown up and volunteered to help with cleaning and other tasks, which has allowed us to open our building to services again. Now we need to ask for volunteers in another area: Children’s Ministry. If you’d be willing to serve in this area and help us to open these rooms, we would very much appreciate it. Please contact Leah (our Children’s Ministry Director) at email@example.com to offer your help. And thank you!
- Get Your Base Camp Bags – This year for Base Camp, we’re going to be doing something a little bit different! In order to keep everybody safe and healthy, Base Camp will be provided as a take home bag filled with a week’s worth of camp. Inside you will find a Base Camp 2020 T-Shirt and stickers, craft supplies, memory verse challenge instructions, a week’s worth of Base Camp devotional video links, social media challenges, mind-bending challenges with the opportunity to win prizes and more! Each bag will be $15 and $10 for any subsequent bags for children within a single family. Bag pickup will be at Northgate on August 17thfrom 10:00am-12:00pm. Please sign up via our website,Northgatefmc.com or request an application from Pastor Daniel at firstname.lastname@example.org. Have a safe and happy summer!
- Come to a Night of Worship – If you have been missing being able to sing with our praise team mark your calendar for a night of worship under the stars on September 18. This will be an outdoor event and the current guidelines limit attendance to 50 people in any one gathering outdoors, so we will be asking you to register so we can keep track of numbers. More information will be coming in the next few weeks.
- Join a Bible Study on the Book of Zechariah – The Monday night Bible study group will be studying the book of Zechariah beginning on August 24 at 6:30pm. This is a Zoom study, so if you’d like to join in please contact Pastor Vern to get the link. You can reach me at email@example.com.
- Fast and Pray – I (Pastor Vern) am putting out a call to all who are interested in joining me for 30 days of prayer and fasting. I’m not suggesting a 30 day fast, but I am encouraging that for 30 days we will fast at least one meal, or one day each week, and that we will daily pray for our church, our community and our nation. I’ll be giving out more details in the next few weeks, but right now I am seeking to know who is interested in joining me (email me at firstname.lastname@example.org) and I want to suggest a resource for us to use that you might want to get: Revival Starts Here by Dave Clayton. It’s a short, easy to read orientation to fasting. Let me know if you want in!
- Find Something Good to Watch on Right Now Media – Right Now Media is a wonderful resource, especially when we are spending more time at home. On this website you’ll find thousands of Christian videos for Bible studies, kids, couples, etc. Our staff submitted some things for you to consider watching and you can get to that list through our Northgate Facebook page. Look for the “funny faces.” Right Now Media is free for Northgate attenders but you do need a password – if you need that just contact the church office (343-4011; email@example.com).
- Join a Study on the Holy Spirit – This ongoing study is held at 7pm on Thursday nights and is led by Pastor Vern and Pastor Marsha. We’re currently reading a book by Jack Deere called Why I Am Still Surprised by the Power of the Spirit. If you’d like to join in you can via Zoom. Contact Pastor Vern or Pastor Marsha (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the link.
- Participate in the New Room Conference – Northgate will be participating in a virtual event called A Night with New Roomon Friday evening, September 25, 2020. It will be a two-hour, live-streamed meeting with God around our collective need, as the Body of Christ, for a great spiritual awakening. We will host a viewing of the event in our North Campus sanctuary, and it can also be watched in your home. Thanks to the generosity of many who support the host organization, Seedbed, it will be a FREE EVENT, but participants must register. Please join us for an inspiring, sobering, and deeply encouraging time together – either in-person or online. Contact Pastor Marsha (email@example.com) to learn more about New Room.
- Check Out St. Paul’s Lutheran School – St. Paul School of Batavia is taking registrations for this Fall for Preschool 3 and 4 year old’s to Grade 5. Preschool runs 3 days (M/W/F) or 5 days per week, (your choice) from 9:00 – 11:30 am. Kindergarten to Grade 5 will be ‘in classroom’ learning 5 days a week from 8:15 am to 2:30 pm. Bussing is available from all local surrounding school districts for elementary grades. Forms can be found online at stpaulbatavia.orgor you can call 343-0488 or email Mrs. Striejewske at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that the buildings will be closed for maintenance and cleaning from Aug 13 to Aug 18. If you have questions or would like a tour, please email the Principal, Mr. Jason Clark, at email@example.com any time. We have limited our class sizes to accommodate for proper and safe distancing. Our School Reopening Safety Plan is in place and a copy can be found on our website.
- Attend a Celebrate Recovery Meeting – Pastor Dave leads our CR group and they are now meeting in the building. This group meets on Thursday nights at 6:30 and is for anyone who wants to deal with a “hurt, habit or hang-up.” To get more information contact Pastor Dave at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You Can Count on This – John 14:1 – “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God, believe also in me.” (Read John 14:1-14)
“Troubled” keeps coming up in this section of scripture. As Jesus prepares to go to the cross, he seeks in this passage to comfort his disciples by assuring them that he is not going to abandon them. They clearly are confused by some of the things Jesus is saying to them, and they are trying hard to understand, but they won’t completely understand until after Jesus’ resurrection. The things Jesus says to them here are things that will make a lot more sense to them at that time. Jesus encourages them to simply trust him, to believe in him, and to know that he is going to be there for them.
There’re some simple lessons we can take from this. When things don’t make sense sometimes the best thing we can do is to wait. Be patient, and let God do what He is going to do, and trust that things will make much more sense down the road. In the meantime, keep believing in Jesus, in the things he has said and the things he has shown us.
And don’t let your heart be troubled. When your heart begins to be troubled lean back on your trust in Jesus. Things that make us so confused today are going to become a lot more clear down the road.
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.