This is a special week in the church calendar, as it is the week we remember the great sacrifice Jesus made on our behalf – his death on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins – and his great victory over death in his resurrection! I hope you will have time to view the special services we will have this week: Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 6pm, Sunday 6:30am, and Sunday at 9:30 and 11am (all on Facebook and website). And remember that we will be taking communion together at the two services Sunday (9:30 and 11) so if you have some juice and bread/crackers on hand, that’ll be great.
This week I’ve asked our staff to help me with the Top Ten by sharing some things they’d like to say to you. So, from our staff to you, with love…
- Pastor Marsha (Pastor of Congregational Care and Discipleship) – “Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.” – Psalm 90:12. These days I’m hoping and praying…and cooking, cleaning, decluttering… often wondering: “What day is it??” I’m clearing out clutter in more ways than one. Going through stuff long-ago stashed in the basement and attic. Trashing much of it – “Thanks!” to the garbage collectors and others still doing their noble work. (Setting aside some for the Northgate Rummage Sale…someday!) Determining what I really need – the “essentials.” A plaque in my home office reads: “Patience obtains all. Whoever has God wants for nothing. God alone is enough.” – Teresa of Avila. May we live into that truth! And let it guide us into the future that awaits us after this storm. Much love, Pastor Marsha (email@example.com)
- Sherrie Staines (Receptionist) – Good morning Northgate Family! I’m so happy to see all of you that are sending in video greetings and sharing your pictures of doing Church! I’m praying for all of you and so looking forward to being together again SOON (“We’re one day closer!”) I have a feeling that I’m going to be doing a lot of hugging that day, so, if we haven’t met yet….be ready! Celebrate the Resurrection with joy and anticipation!
- Pastor John (Pastor of Preaching and Leadership Development) – This has been such a strange time but one of the things that has remained consistent is your church staff saying “How awesome is it that we get to serve here?” Your encouraging words, your generosity in serving, your commitment to tithing, and your willingness to brighten your corner of the world, have all meant so much to every one of us. Keep up the great work, you make us so proud to be a part of this church!
- Traci Wells (South Campus Coordinator) – We had a great turn out last week at our Blood Drive at South Campus: We donated 30 units of blood (record for us). American Red cross is requesting all donors to make an appointment during this season. Please log onto https://www.redcross.org/give-blood.htmland give blood. The Salvation Army and Northgate teaming up for our food distributions has been very successful and so many thankful families have been reached.
God has blessed us abundantly during this difficult time with a family that lives close (within 1 mile of each other) and we are all helping one another out with the daily chores, shopping, supplies and equipment for our many outdoor building projects. We are blessed to have 2 sons still working, 2 stay at home moms, 6 grandchildren and 85+ year old parents that are content staying home. Steve is off work with pay, and I am still doing what I can to make ministry happen by helping others out when I can.
- Pastor Dan (Next Generation Pastor) – Hello Church! This is Pastor Daniel, and although I miss you all dearly, I couldn’t be more proud and elated at the support and fortitude you have shown during this season. The mission of Northgate is strong even during times of adversity, a truth you have proven to yourselves and the staff here these last few weeks. I hope you are engaging with us and others during this time and invite you to be creative! I know my oddball “BASEment” series is turning out to be creative to say the least. Count your blessings because they are many and appreciate all we have in the name of Jesus during this time. Have a good day, you deserve it! Until then!
- Lean Lennon (Children’s Ministry Director) – Hi Northgate Families! This season that we are in reminds me a lot of the story where Jesus calms the storm. I think many of us would agree that this is some storm that’s blowing through. But find comfort and peace in that we serve the One who calms the storm. We continue to pray for all of you and can’t wait until we are all together again!!
- Kelley Switzer (Children’s Ministry Assistant) – Hi Northgate family! Happy Easter from my home to yours! It has been my prayer to the families of Northgate that God is keeping you safe, healthy and filled with lots of energy! I will miss seeing everyone in their Easter best this Sunday. This Easter season it is my hope that families are able to grow closer to God, continue to follow His path for your lives, and to love others well. Much Love, Mrs. Kelley
- Katie Zimmerman (Kto4 Director) – Give yourself grace. Acknowledge that this is not easy but it is a temporary situation. God will see us through!
- Tara Blowers (Assistant Worship Leader) – I’m not going to lie. I got a little emotional this week watching the sermon and thinking about how much I miss worshipping our heavenly Father together. I pray that you are all doing well. In a time where I know I could easily begin to worry about so many areas of my life I have been finding such a peace while focusing on gratitude. Whether it be something big or small in my everyday life. I just wanted to challenge you today to make sure you find yourself thanking God throughout the day for the big and small things in your life. Love you all!
- Gloria Roorda (Arbor House Lead Pastor) – In this season of social distancing what a blessing it is to remember our hearts are knit together with love for Jesus. More and more I look forward to that day when we can actually be in the same place worshipping him together! It will truly feel like Easter! I hope each one of you senses the truth that though we may be waiting… Easter is coming!!!
You Can Count on This – John 5:24 – “I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.” – Jesus (Read John 5:16-47)
On a daily basis we are being confronted with the fact that many people are dying from the coronavirus. Whereas many people could push the thought of death out of their minds before this, that’s very hard to do under these circumstances. Jesus offers us this word of comfort as we think about death: through belief in him we can “cross over from death to life”. By faith in Jesus we can know that we have waiting for us “eternal life” once we have passed from this world. At Easter Jesus achieved victory over death, and he offers us the opportunity to share in that victory, if we will accept it, by accepting him and all he has done for us.
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.