Top Ten – October 19th
- Announcing our new “Next Generation Director” – He’s here! We are super excited to announce that Dan Calkins has joined our team as of October 22nd. Dan will be overseeing our work with Middle Schoolers and High Schoolers, as well as Young Adults. Dan is a Local Ministerial Candidate as well, meaning that he is exploring a call to become an ordained pastor, and is planning to begin seminary in January. Please pray for Dan and if you want to partner with him in this ministry or encourage him, send him a note at Daniel@northgatefmc.com
- Missions Meeting – The next meeting of the Northgate Missions Team will be this Sunday, October 22nd, at 12:30pm (Room A2 at North). Anyone interested in being part of this Team is welcome to attend – the team’s focus is on how Northgate can advance our world mission awareness and activities. Your input is needed! For more information, contact Julie Worthington (email@example.com) or Pastor Vern.
- Volunteer Appreciation Night – Last year we held two Volunteer Appreciation nights, and we had so much fun we’re doing it again! Tuesday, November 21st from 6-8pm we are inviting anyone who volunteers or serves at Northgate in any capacity to come to the Café at North for some Staff-prepared food, fellowship and fun. This is a “come and go as you need to” event, but we hope you’ll stay for at least a little while and get to know some new friends, and catch up with others, while being appreciated by the Staff for all you do. Northgate is a healthy and strong church because of you, our volunteers, and we want to say “Thank you!”
- Operation Christmas Child – OCC boxes are available this weekend and will need to be returned by November 19th. If you’ve participated before, you know how easy it is to see that a child is blessed by a box of gifts and the message of the gospel. If you haven’t participated before why not start this year?
- Great Day of Giving – Every year we receive a special offering in addition to our regular offering, on a weekend in November. The purpose of this offering is threefold: 1/3 is given to Free Methodist World Missions; another 1/3 is used for a special building project (last year we used this to renovate our South Campus Community Room) and the final 1/3 is distributed to organizations in our community who are serving others well. This year that portion of the offering will be given to Hope Haven (an inpatient alcohol/drug treatment program at the St. Jerome building), Men’s Warehouse (a men’s and children’s ministry led by our own Jon Andre and others) and Mercy Flight (did you know several of our Northgaters have been served personally by Mercy Flight?). We’ll receive this offering the weekend of 11/18 and 11/19. Please pray about how God would want you to participate, and thank you!
- Thanksgiving Bags – The Saturday before Thanksgiving a small team of Northgaters deliver bags to migrant families, containing everything needed for a Thanksgiving meal. If you‘d like to help with this act of love, you can donate toward the cost of a complete bag ($30; last week I said $25 – that was my mistake. Sorry!) by indicating on the envelope or check “Thanksgiving Bag.” And if you want to help assemble or deliver, contact Allison (our church administrative assistant) and let her know (Allison@northgatefmc.com).
- This Changes Everything – The weekend of November 4th/5th we will be baptizing in all three services at North. Quite a few have already signed up, but it’s not too late for you to sign up as well! Email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) or sign up through the Northgate APP or at the Information Desk if you want to be baptized, or have a child baptized or dedicated.
- Looking for a Small Group – Fall is when our small group ministries kick off once again. Some meet at the church, and some in homes. If you are looking for a place to meet people and grow in your relationship with Jesus, contact Pastor Greg (email@example.com) and let him help you get connected!
- Save the Date – You might want to make a note on your calendar (paper or digital) to save Friday night, December 1st for a Christmas Concert at Northgate North with Brothers McClurg and special guest speaker Mark Buchanan. Mark is a well-published Christian author and he will be spending the weekend with us. The concert begins at 7pm, but we’re planning some special things for before the concert too. Stay tuned!
- How Do I Find Out About What’s Happening at Northgate? – Well, you’re reading this, and that’s one good source! If you haven’t already, you can send me your email and I’ll forward the Top Ten to you every week. Also, be sure to periodically browse the website (northgatefmc.com), and download our APP on your smartphone and visit the Information Desk. And of course you can always just ask! We’d be glad to answer your questions.
You Can Count on This – Matthew 13:34 – “Jesus spoke all these things to the crowd in parables; he did not say anything to them without using a parable.” (Read Matthew 13:1-52).
Jesus was a terrific storyteller. He knew what every parent knows… stories engage us, and are a great way to teach something in a way that doesn’t feel like a lecture. Read the stories Jesus told in Matthew 13 and reflect on what Jesus is saying to you in these stories.
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.