Top Ten – May 18th
- Volunteer Spotlight – This past week we held our second Volunteer Appreciation Open House. This is a simple way for us to say “Thanks!” to every one of you who contributes to making Northgate a great place to worship God, grow in faith and use our gifts. Blessings on you all!
- Vote This Weekend For A-Team Members – This weekend is the election for our Administrative Team. The following people are on the ballot for the 2 A-Team positions and a Reserve Delegate position: Bill Hayes, Kelly Flores, Melissa Huntzinger, Chris Laird and Nate Blowers. All members of the church are invited to cast a ballot this weekend.
- Caregiver Support Opportunity – Do you have experience working with, or have an interest in assisting people who have dementia? We have a need for 2 people, for 4 hours per month and this would take place here at the church. If you are interested and would like please contact Pastor Greg at email@example.com. (A big “Thank you” to the three people who have stepped up to this already!)
- We Gave a Cow on Mother’s Day – Not “we had a cow” but we gave a cow! In honor of all Northgate-related moms we made a donation to International Child Care Ministries to provide a cow to the village of Gahanda in Rwanda. A cow is a valuable resource to the village, providing milk and fertilizer. We hope our Northgate moms know how much we appreciate them, and we believe that by giving this gift in your honor we are passing on your love to the families of Gahanda. Thank you!
- Day of Caring Report – More than 30 people from our congregation representing Northgate or their agencies and companies participated in the United Way Day of Caring this week. Our Youth Director, Sean Donnellan was interviewed as part of this and said it well: “It’s important to jump in and be a part of the community, and connect with the other groups and organizations.” He’s right! What a great way to show our local community the love of Jesus in action. If you want to see more about the day go to our Northgate Facebook page (@northgatefmc).
- Father’s Day Baptisms – We’ve had some requests for baptisms, and so we are scheduling a “This Changes Everything” weekend for June 17th and 18th. If you’d like to be baptized, or have a child baptized or dedicated, please let Pastor Vern know (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- July 4th At Northgate North – Kelley Switzer is organizing a July 4th “Firework Watching” at Northgate that will include food and fun activities. Our North campus has a pretty good viewing of the fireworks display that follows the Muckdog game, and we are inviting people to come and watch from our parking lot. If you are looking for a place to take in the show, consider coming out to the North campus and join in.
- Community Room Being Remodeled – Mike McGrath and crew have begun remodeling the Community Room at South and we are very excited. Our MOPS program has grown and needs space, and other community groups and church groups use that room, and it has needed an upgrade for a while. Thanks to Mike, and others, it’s happening!
- New MOPS Theme – Speaking of MOPS, Shawna Dorman, one of our MOPS leaders, shared with me the theme for the 2017-18 MOPS year: “Free Indeed.” Here’s a bit about what the year will be about, from the MOPS material for the Fall: (It sounds great!)
Sometimes, especially as moms with young kids, life can sneak up on us, and we don’t realize that we have gotten stuck. Stuck in patterns of thinking or habits that are holding us captive. This is the year that changes, this is the year we will stop settling for what simply gets us by and do the work to get to what’s best. We will examine our worries and not believe everything we feel. We will bask in the freedom of living loved by understanding who God is, and who we are because of it. We will be free from the need to hustle for our worth, and we will live in the truth that we are already loved and loveable, without all the striving. We will parent with fresh perspective and will treat ourselves with tenderness, because love is the loudest voice we hear, and it is proclaiming freedom and favor.
- Foster Parents Needed – Being a foster family can be challenging but it is also an opportunity to show the love of Jesus in a very tangible and extremely valuable way. If you think it’s a calling that God may be putting into your heart, you can get more information by calling the Department of Social Services at 344-2580, x6414.
You Can Count on This – “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.” Matt. 7:13-14
The gate may be small, but Jesus invites all to come through it. It’s not that Jesus is exclusive: he’s just honest. The only way to life is through him, but all may come.
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.