Top Ten – July 26th
- “Right Now Media” – Last weekend we announced that we are offering everyone a trial with Right Now Media, a Netflix-type service to churches whereby people can gain access to video teaching, Bible studies, children’s programming and similar material, at no cost to you, the individual or family. Instead the church pays one subscription fee for everyone. If you haven’t yet received an email inviting you to sign up for this free trial, check your spam folder, or contact the office (343-4011 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Pray for Stephen and Linny – The Emanuele’s finish their trip to Belgium this week, learning about the church there and exploring a call to mission work in Europe. Please keep them in prayer as they travel, speak, meet people and listen for God’s direction.
- Senior H.S. Class in the Fall – We are very excited to announce that Dan and Allison Lang will be leading a Senior H.S. group on Sunday mornings this Fall. It will meet at the same time as the Middle School Class group (at 11am). We are still working out the room, though it will be in the Adult Wing. Please pray for Dan and Allison as they prepare (and thank them for their passion for our teens!) and pray for the teens who will be participating.
- Global Leadership Summit – In a few weeks we will host our very first Leadership Summit here at Northgate. Thanks to Pastor John for getting us involved in this! We are passing 100 on the registrations, which are still coming in. Many of those registrations are from outside the Northgate family, which means this is a good opportunity for us to show who we are as a church to leaders in our community. For more information on this, you can visit our website, northgatefmc.com or talk to Pastor John at email@example.com
- Volunteer Opportunities at the Nursing Home – Premier Genesee (formerly the Genesee County Nursing Home) is looking for people who can spend some time with their residents; especially those without family members. If you can spend an hour or so reading, playing cards, making crafts and brightening someone’s day, please call Michelle Wilkin at 344-0584.
- Help the Salvation Army Distribute School Supplies – The Salvation Army has a goal of providing 300 backpacks to area students in need, filled with all the school supplies necessary for the upcoming year. A filled backpack is $25 and donations can be made to the Salvation Army (529 East Main Street, Batavia) or you can bring supplies here and we’ll see that they get over to the S.A. A list of the things they need is available at the Information Desk, or call the S.A. at 343-6284.
- Covenant Acres Family Camp 2017 – Rev. Jonathan Bratt will be speaking at Family Camp this year, which runs from August 16th through August 20th. Pastor Chris (one of our Arbor House pastors) is the director of Covenant Acres and he has been working hard with his team to make the camp ready for this summer. Family Camp is an opportunity for the whole family to spend some time together in a beautiful setting, near Pike, NY. For more information on Family Camp, or Covenant Acres, you can go to covenantacres.org
- Arbor House Camp Weekend – Speaking of Covenant Acres, about 15 people from our Arbor House congregation are meeting there this Friday and Saturday for a time of relaxation, good conversations, good food and rest. Have a wonderful time!
- Immigration Issues – I am concerned about a special group of immigrants living in the United States. The group I’m talking about are the people who were brought here as children, have lived here since, but are now at risk of being deported because there are no options available to them for becoming legal residents of the U.S. even though they’ve done nothing wrong. I know immigration issues raise questions, but I would hope we’d all agree that in a situation like this compassion, understanding, grace and mercy should guide us and our leaders. As Christians this is a place for us to speak to the culture. I’ve written our representatives about my feelings on this, and I’d encourage you to pray about doing the same. And pray for those caught up in this system. It’s been said: “America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, she will cease to be great”.
- “Here and Now Festival” – Don’t forget… the “Here and Now Festival” is coming up in a few weeks, August 25th and 26th at Austin Park in Batavia. There will be worship bands, food, display tents and children’s activities. Anthony Hoisington will be there with Brothers’ McClurg. For more information you can go to this website: http://greattabernacle.org
You Can Count on This – “Matthew 10:29-31 – Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. (Read Matthew 10:1-42)
This passage is specifically about going out to share our faith. Jesus gives instructions, addresses fears, warns, and, in the verses quoted above, reassures. The reassurance is that we can count on Jesus to take care of us, when sharing our faith may lead us into difficult places.
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.