Top Ten – July 20th
- “Right Now Media” – This weekend we’ll be announcing an opportunity for all Northgaters to try Right Now Media, a Netflix-type service to churches whereby people can gain access to video teaching, Bible studies, children’s programming and similar material, at no cost to you, the individual or family. Instead the church pays one subscription fee for everyone. You will be receiving an email inviting you to sign up for this free trial, and then based on responses we will decide whether or not to subscribe. Your feedback is welcome!
- Pray for Stephen and Linny – The Emanuele’s are in Belgium this week and next, learning about the church there and exploring a call to mission work in Europe. Please keep them in prayer as they travel, speak, meet people and listen for God’s direction.
- Senior H.S. Class in the Fall – We are very excited to announce that Dan and Allison Lang will be leading a Senior H.S. group on Sunday mornings this Fall. It will meet at the same time as the Middle School Class group (at 11am). We are still working out the room, though it will be in the Adult Wing. Please pray for Dan and Allison as they prepare (and thank them for their passion for our teens!) and pray for the teens who will be participating.
- Global Leadership Summit – In a few weeks we will host our very first Leadership Summit here at Northgate. Thanks to Pastor John for getting us involved in this! We are passing 100 on the registrations, which are still coming in. Many of those registrations are from outside the Northgate family, which means this is a good opportunity for us to show who we are as a church to leaders in our community. For more information on this, you can visit our website, northgatefmc.com or talk to Pastor John at email@example.com
- Volunteer Opportunities at the Nursing Home – Premier Genesee (formerly the Genesee County Nursing Home) is looking for people who can spend some time with their residents; especially those without family members. If you can spend an hour or so reading, playing cards, making crafts and brightening someone’s day, please call Michelle Wilkin at 344-0584.
- Help the Salvation Army Distribute School Supplies – The Salvation Army has a goal of providing 300 backpacks to area students in need, filled with all the school supplies necessary for the upcoming year. A filled backpack is $25 and donations can be made to the Salvation Army (529 East Main Street, Batavia) or you can bring supplies here and we’ll see that they get over to the S.A. A list of the things they need is available at the Information Desk, or call the S.A. at 343-6284.
- Summer’s Best Two Weeks – SB2W wraps up this week and all indications are that it has been a great event. Last year was the first time we offered this, and registrations increased 50% for this year’s event. Sean and his leaders do a great job with the kids who are engaged physically and spiritually every day of the event. Thank you Sean, and all who have helped to make this happen!
- Your Northgate Delegates – Northgate Delegates are elected to represent the congregation to the Conference. They are available to you should you have something about the church that you’d like to discuss with someone. Delegates also are members of our A-Team – our official church board. Their names are Dave Kibler, Susan Wakefield, Stephanie Debo and Nate Blowers. If you don’t know them, but would like to speak with one of them, please contact the church office. And thank you to our Delegates for serving!
- Immigration Issues – I am concerned about a special group of immigrants living in the United States. The group I’m talking about are the people who were brought here as children, have lived here since, but are now at risk of being deported because there are no options available to them for becoming legal residents of the U.S. even though they’ve done nothing wrong. I know immigration issues raise questions, but I would hope we’d all agree that in a situation like this compassion, understanding, grace and mercy should guide us and our leaders. As Christians this is a place for us to speak to the culture. I’ve written our representatives about my feelings on this, and I’d encourage you to pray about doing the same. And pray for those caught up in this system. There’s some question about who said this, but regardless I believe it to be true: “America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, she will cease to be great”.
- Thought You Might Like to Know – So far this year 42 people have come to faith in Christ through the ministries and people of Northgate; 28 have been baptized and 19 have become members. That’s something to celebrate, Church!
You Can Count on This – “When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them.” Matthew 9:36 (Read Matthew 9:35-38)
One thing you can count on Jesus for is compassion. Especially toward those who are “harassed and helpless.” Jesus is not looking around for people to condemn; he’s looking around for people who need to be loved and cared for. And he is looking at his church to help him do that (read the whole passage.)
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.