Top Ten – April 20th
- Volunteer Spotlight – New volunteers are serving at the Kid’s Check-in station! Thank you for stepping up to help out at this important spot. When parents bring their children for the Nursery, Toddler, Preschool or Bible Trek rooms they are getting checked in and given a security sticker. These volunteers are helping to make that a smooth and quick process. We appreciate all of you who are serving, and welcome to the new volunteers!
- Women in His Word – There is a new on-line women’s study of the book of Ruth starting on May 1st. Patti Chadwick is the hostess and the study will run through May 26th. If you’d like to join in or want more information, contact Patti at email@example.com or call her at 297-3009.
- Summit II – The Summit is what we call our annual church meeting (some of you will know this as the Society Meeting). This year the Summit will be held on Sunday, April 30th from 12:30 to 2 p.m. We will have childcare for young children and a light lunch for those who stay after service. The Summit II will be an opportunity to hear about what’s been happening at Northgate, and our vision going forward. We’ll also be holding a short election for Nominating Team members and our Delegate.
- Bible Trek Movie Night – Kids from pre-school age on up are invited to a movie night on Friday, May 19th from 6:30-8:30 p.m. The movie Angry Birds will be shown, and in addition there will be food and games. Please bring a snack to share and ask a friend to join you. And parents, this is a chance for you to have a kid-free date night! For more information, contact Pastor John at firstname.lastname@example.org
- International Child Care 2016 Highlights – ICCM is about so much more than the 20,736 children being assisted by child sponsorships, as important as they are! ICCM is also about providing water filters (4000 were delivered to Haiti after Hurricane Matthew) and emergency food and survival kits (distributed in places like Cambodia, Myanmar, Haiti and the Philippines). ICCM is also about building schools and training up leaders. Thank you for supporting this work with your prayers and sponsorships.
- May is Mental Health Month – Did you know… one out of every five U.S. service members who served in Iraq or Afghanistan suffers from major depression or PTSD. Please pray for all of those who are serving in the military and all those who’ve come home but still deal with the effects of having served.
- Prayer Groups – Pastor Greg would like to invite you to join one of our Northgate Prayer Groups! We have two that meet regularly… both on Wednesdays. The early group meets at 1pm in Meeting Room #3 and the late group begins at 6pm. Both are at North campus. Prayer is essential to our relationship with God and to what we do as a church, so please think about joining one of these groups, and if you can’t, please keep our church in your prayers.
- What I’m Reading – I’ve just started reading Re-Vision: The Key to Transforming Your Church. This is a book that was recommended to us at our pastors conference this year (Minister’s Institute of the Northeast). Bishop Roller spoke about it and it’s being used as a guide for groups of Free Methodist pastors in a coaching network. According to the opening pages of the book, 70-80% of American churches have plateaued or are in decline. I don’t think that Northgate is one of them, but I’m reading this book in order to learn what I need to know to be the most effective leader I can be.
- Caregivers Connection – Susan Wakefield would like to extend an invitation to anyone who is a caregiver for another, to find support and encouragement through the Caregivers Connection. According to the National Alliance for Caregiving, 29% of the U.S. population provides care for an aging, disabled or chronically ill family member or friend. If you are a caregiver, and want to connect, get a hold of Susan at 297-0466.
- Congratulations Dan! – This past weekend we welcomed Dan Calkins as a Local Ministerial Candidate. An LMC is a person who is exploring a potential call from God to enter ministry. If you know Dan, please encourage him as he follows this path of exploration. If you don’t know him, you’ll get opportunities to do so in the months ahead.
You Can Count on This – “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.” Matthew 6:24
I like to simplify my life as much as possible, and this verse speaks to me about simplicity. We are to have only one master. Having two (or more) just won’t work. We’ll be conflicted, torn, confused, unstable. We’ll end up resentful about something! Let God be your Master. Let Him be your Lord. It will simplify things!
When you’re not sure what you can count on in the world around you, know this: You can count on God keeping his word. So read what God has to say in scripture! And count on it.